Snapper Trip!

obone

Hey all.

Went out for a go at the snapper this arvo with my dad and a few of his mates. We left the jetty at 4 and were anchored up at the spot by 4:30.

I had never been a big sp man, having little success as yet with any of the sp's in the bay, although after this arvo I am seeing the light. We only used sp's and the results were pretty good.

We were all using spinner reels with 12lb braid with a 12lb flurocarbon leader, so it was an awsome fight for all of the fish. Gulp sp's.

After burlying up a bit it was on! And i caught my first snapper :P, not a monster but it was bloody awsome anyway. I went on to catch another 2, with the boat total at 9 keepers after about 1hr 30mins fishing. Lots of small squire caught which was encouraging.

I got a few videos of the trip so I will try to post them up in here but I am not sure if we can embed videos yet?? If not I will youtube them and give you the link. Nothing to exciting just a bit of a look.

Cheers, Joel ;)

Mooloolaba hey...hmmm.

No wonder you did well.

Last time I went out from Mooloolaba (in February) I left enough berley to last....[let me count]....at least 5 months apparently. Enough carrots to coax the Woolworths suppliers out for a harvest! It was pretty rough though.

Were you fishing with carrot coloured SPs ?

Nope ellicat no carrot coloured ones.

We used nuclear chicken which was pretty successful. We used the 2 different size ones, the small 5 inch ones and then the bigger 8 inch I think it is. And on the big ones we lost a fair few big fish cause with 12lb line they kept breaking us off, either on the bottom or when we had the drag too tight. And the bigger nuclear chickens were just consistently having their tails bitten off. The other ones we used were pearl watermelon or something like that?? They were good too.

Joel ;)

Nice effort that, good report too.

Looking at the Nuclear Chicken (red and green) you wouldn't think anything would eat them, but they seem really popular with the bream and snapper fishos.

I'm guessing they were the \"jerk shad\" gulps, how big were the jig heads, or did you use them on paternoster rigs like \"real\" bait?

Thanks for the report.

Rocket75 wrote:

I'm guessing they were the \"jerk shad\" gulps, how big were the jig heads, or did you use them on paternoster rigs like \"real\" bait?

Thanks for the report.

Whats jerk shad?

I think the jig heads were 3/4 ounce or 1 ounce.

And no paternoster, just leader straight onto the jighead.

Joel ;)

Well here are the first 2 uTube videos I have uploaded!

They take bloody ages so when I will upload the other 2 tomorrow.

The first one is of David catching a nice little snapper.

The second one is me! catching my first!

Cheers, Joel ;)

roobs wrote:

good work mate- looks like the biggest fish of the snapper season so far to me. hey webbies, maybe include snapper in next year's winter line up? or did i miss it? either way, beginner's luck takes the cake again...

Roobs: Snapper are Septemebers fish of the month. They should still well and truly be biting.

Angus

Angus wrote:

roobs wrote:
good work mate- looks like the biggest fish of the snapper season so far to me. hey webbies, maybe include snapper in next year's winter line up? or did i miss it? either way, beginner's luck takes the cake again...

Roobs: Snapper are Septemebers fish of the month. They should still well and truly be biting.

Angus

Might just have to head out again in September :P

Joel ;)

obone wrote:

Haha, it's a big version to my mini Bream gear! :P .

I tell you what if my mates had big boats with big Stellas, Saltigas and Loomis Dropshot Rods I'd be out there everytime they are!

Good work on your first Snap ;) . Man they go hard on the light stuff. any ideas on the depth you were fishing?

Troy

Rocket75 wrote:

It seems quite popular with the snapper fishos.

Not just Snapper as it turns out :P . Check out this link from the Tweed ABT last weekend...

/>http://www.bream.com.au/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=288&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Yes that is my name in the dismal 37th slot :blush: :pinch: . Talk about blow it on the 2nd day :unsure: .

Troy

Rocket75 wrote:

Whats jerk shad?

I think the jig heads were 3/4 ounce or 1 ounce.

And no paternoster, just leader straight onto the jighead.

Joel ;)

A \"Jerk Shad\" is the name of the shape of one of the Gulp soft plastics. It is a fairly long, thin, fish shaped profile. It seems quite popular with the snapper fishos.

Yeh there were like half jerk shads and half just like normal 5 inch ones.

And Troy I think we were in 65 - 70M.

And wow Jeff you must have looked hard to see that in the video. Nice work!

Joel ;)

Post edited by: obone, at: 2007/07/20 20:37

Archived