Bassin the Clarance, what lures??

haines490slc

I am fortunate enough to have a good mate that has a pristine property with a shack on it it the headwaters of the Clarance river. I am going to take my little light rod with me (1-3 kg) with a little okuma reel and 4lb braid, I will put a flurocarbon 6kg leader on this, the river would be a good 40 - 50m wide where we are going. Anyone got any tips?

4lb braid and 6kg leader?? I'd prob be fishing at least 6 or 8lb main line with your 12lb leader. What kind of area is that part of the Clarence? You could even drop right down to a 6 or 8lb leader too, depending on the area. For really big 50+ bass then 12lb is probably the go. Lure choice will depend on water depth and structure etc.. I've only really seen video footage of the bass in the clarence and thats been mostly in the big Gorge. They were using mainly spinnerbaits on the stuff I saw, but that was some pretty crazy hard flowing water.

Thats real beautiful country in there Eddy.

Most access points along that stretch of water by foot is really no different to other places around Brissy as the real deep and often fast water is up in the gorge itself.

Take a mix of deep and shallow divers,spinnerbaits and brettlespins ect,standard bass lures and you will be fine.

As Tomca said,surface lures morning and evening and through the night produce well over the warmer months.

I did a week in there a few years ago and 3 of those days was with a chopper dropping us into streams throughout that region,was just incredible fun.

You lucky bugger B) I am heading there in september/october with a couple of fellas from MoT. I reckon you'll be fine with 4LB, I use 4LB the majority of the time and generally don't have any issues, an 8 to 12LB leader and you'll be right just keep them out of the rocks down there. Throw surface lures ALL day just aim for the shade and another rod with divers/ lipless cranks.

Thats real beautiful country in there Eddy.

Most access points along that stretch of water by foot is really no different to other places around Brissy as the real deep and often fast water is up in the gorge itself.

T

yeah I know, been there before, old mates property has the river as boundary, you have to cross it to drive up the hill to the shack, it is 100 m down the hill from the shack. It is the kind of place that makes you want to work out how to get back down there for the rest of your life growing your own food, and living the simple life. I am taking the missus down this time, she is going to love it, plus we are having rotisserie chooks for dinner on the Sat night. :side:

You lucky bugger B) I am heading there in september/october with a couple of fellas from MoT. I reckon you'll be fine with 4LB, I use 4LB the majority of the time and generally don't have any issues, an 8 to 12LB leader and you'll be right just keep them out of the rocks down there. Throw surface lures ALL day just aim for the shade and another rod with divers/ lipless cranks.
my mate reckons last time they were smashing surface lures under the trees as the bugs were falling down and they were nailing them.

sounds like it will be an awesome trip. As for gear i normally use 4lb/4lb but thats for fish only to the high 40s. I still reckon that 4lb main and a 6-8lb leader will be alright as long as your knots are good. with lures defs get some surface cicadas, they are just too much fun! as well as R2S bubble pops in black. Looking forward to the report :)

Archived