Cyclists - road savers or road ravers?

dunney

Why don't those fit, leg shaving, Lycra wearing, latte drinking push bike riders have to pay rego either??? There are specific lanes on roads fr them. They also take up entire highway lanes at times. Make them pay for the priviledge to ride on our roads. They use it as a race track on weekends. Oh did I mention I hate push bike riders.

Why don't those fit, leg shaving, Lycra wearing, latte drinking push bike riders have to pay rego either??? There are specific lanes on roads fr them. They also take up entire highway lanes at times. Make them pay for the priviledge to ride on our roads. They use it as a race track on weekends. Oh did I mention I hate push bike riders.

I ride a bike and object to your attitude ....

Agree with Eddie here, you're attitude is a little poor form. If you knew your facts then you would know that registration costs do not contribute directly to road funding. In most cases cyclists have a license of which around 80% does go to road funding.

Keep these points in mind:

- Do cyclists need to be monitored a little more closely? Yes but this is with a minority in ANY category whether it's pedestrians jay walking, cars speeding, motorbikes weaving and/or boats without appropriate navigation lights.

- Every bike on the road is one less car you have to contend with. Remember you aren't stuck IN traffic, you ARE the traffic!

- The costs of implementing registration on bikes would create more problems. Cost the state even more than the revenue generated and surprise, everyone gets slammed with the bill.

- Like Eddie said what about your little one who wants to ride to the park on the weekend, would you be happy to pay rego for him/her?

- Keep in mind that it's only 4-5 seconds out of your day to slow down and go around. Take a deep breath have a bit of patience, there will be a day when we are totally overpopulated or fuel will be exorbitantly high and you'll have to hop on a bike too.

most bike riders own cars boats etc. and already pay rego on them that contributes, why should they pay again, and younger ones, should they pay rego to ride to school?

Kids are a different story as most ride on the footpath although probably not always, I don't have a problem with the riders but my personal opinion is that everyone else pays for the right so a small rego is the way itshould be and im sure most would be happy to pay it.

Mod Note

The posts appearing above this one are posts from an irrelevant thread that stirred the pot to cause this thread to be commenced by bootyinblue with the post following this post.

Remember AFO rules when contributing to this thread. Debate and your opinion = good; personal attacks and bad language = bad. Bad = removal. ;) Removal = whole post not just the bad bit.

I think all cycles ridden by persons over the age of 16 should pay some sort of registration fee and also be identifiable by a registration plate similar to those on the mobility scooters.

Yes some of you already pay for car registration but you are not driving the car at the time. One could apply a similar arguement to car versus motorcycles.

By having a plate also makes them more identifiable for infringements incurred. You only have to sit off a stop sign on a weekend morning to see riders calling out 'clear left, clear right' so that the followers can sail straight through.

Some will agree, some won't.

Ok i'll bite.

Cars, bikes and trucks pay rego fees to cover the costs of new roads and to cover the repairs to existing roads caused by wear and tear. Bicycles do no damage to roads and as you pointed out, 99% of cyclists would have at least 1, some several, vehicles they currently pay rego on.

Having some sort of identification attached to bicycles, as u suggest, would not prevent the breaking of the law, which seems to be the main issue you have against cyclists, as cars, trucks and motorbikes with number plates break the law every single day of the year.

Yes it would make your job easier and generate another lovely revenue source for the government, however surely it would cost more in police resources and time to police than what it's worth?

The whole cyclist road rage car V bike things is getting way out of control. I seriously think the media play a massive role in fueling the anger over the issue and causing friction.

My biggest issue with bike's on the road is the simple fact that the majority of these cyclists, want right of way, and full access to the road system, yet simply are not willing to follow the rules. The amount of times i have seen a bike go straight through red lights etc is ridiculous. Im fine for them to be around, as long as they have to follow the same set of rules as the cars that pay for the road they are using.

The post was never meant to provoke a bite, but more so for people to voice their opinions. By prefacing your post with the opening comment just diminishes its weight as it alludes to you just negating others views whether you believe in what you are saying or not.

Cyclists do contribute to road upkeep and maintenance costs, as does everyone on the road.

Identification plates were never intended to stop people breaking the law, but there to make corrective action easier after the fact.

Lovely revenue stream for the Government? It's all voluntary contributions.

I think all cycles ridden by persons over the age of 16 should pay some sort of registration fee and also be identifiable by a registration plate similar to those on the mobility scooters.

Yes some of you already pay for car registration but you are not driving the car at the time. One could apply a similar arguement to car versus motorcycles.

By having a plate also makes them more identifiable for infringements incurred. You only have to sit off a stop sign on a weekend morning to see riders calling out 'clear left, clear right' so that the followers can sail straight through.

so how do u fit a plate that won't significantly effect the performance of a bike. Having number plates obviously stops cars running red lights as I never see a car run a red light, cough cough.

So who pays for the new bike lanes being installed homer?
every bike on the road is one less car, less pollution, less wear and tear on the road. I ride mostly in bike lanes and on roads with no shoulder where I would restrict traffic flow I ride on the footpath giving way to pedestrians. I have the go pro recording from the seat post facing backwards so I can identify and refer to the police any moronic driver that wants to be an idiot. Common courtesy is the key and what seems to be lacking these days.

I've got no issues with the riders who do their best to obey road rules.

But the dooshbags who think they have right of way, you are morons. I'm sorry but there are plenty of road bicycle users who do the right thing, but like everything else a few ruin it for the rest.

Also what I don't understand is why they MUST use the road when a perfectly good flat footpath is right next to them...

I am not a cyclist hater, and don't see why they need to have plates, if a cyclist stuffs up they are ALWAYS going to come off second best, that should be enough.

What I do object to, is a cyclist sitting a half a metre into the lane when there is a perfectly good road shoulder or bike path!! If your super duper carbon fibre bike can't hack a couple of bumps, maybe you should get a few lessons from a 12 yr old, they seem to do just fine!

...............By having a plate also makes them more identifiable for infringements incurred. You only have to sit off a stop sign on a weekend morning to see riders calling out 'clear left, clear right' so that the followers can sail straight through.

so how do u fit a plate that won't significantly effect the performance of a bike. Having number plates obviously stops cars running red lights as I never see a car run a red light, cough cough.

They are pretty small plates which could be rigidly attached behind the drivers saddle. I am sure they would not significantly effect your performance if mounted there as its behind your legs which would have already punched through the air pocket.

It amuses me to watch cyclists pedal from West End to Milton getting dressed up like they are in the Tour De France. I go for an afternoon jog, but you dont see me donning a Cathy Freeman flight suit :silly:

It amuses me to watch cyclists pedal from West End to Milton getting dressed up like they are in the Tour De France. I go for an afternoon jog, but you dont see me donning a Cathy Freeman flight suit :silly:

I ride nearly 30kms home, the lycra pants not only help to reduce drag they also have padding in the saddle to make the seat more comfortable, help your body to breath hence keepig you cooler, and wick sweat away from your jiggly bits making for a much more comfortable ride, don't hate what you do not understand. I too wondered why they where so poular before I started to ride.

i for one cannnot stand the weekend tour de france wanna-be's , for me living just of the main rd to wello point see and hear them every bloody sunday morning at 4.30 - 5am yelling at the top of their lungs to their mate 2m's away from them . 3 wide swerving on and off the road is common place every weekend .

Cudo's go to the clown that gave the finger to a car that beeped his horn as he swerved around him , pity it was a copper that pulled him up down the road a bit :P

why they need to dress up in tights , shoes and stupid little hats to ride 2 k's to the local coffee shop i cannot understand ?

nothing worse than a overweight 60 yr old in lycra strutting like he is an olympic athlete :sick:

go to wello point any sunday between 5am - 9am and see the eyesore for yourself

the cost of registration on bikes will only increase financial drain on the government. added costs such as administration, policing (you guys are stretched thin enough as it is), etc. far outweigh the revenue generated from little rego plates. not only that, but it's going in the wrong direction for where we as a nation want to be in terms of finite fuel sources and health (i.e. obesity).

on the flip side, it might shift the status quo. motorists will start to feel the financial and real estate burdens of having an added vehicle with a claim to the road and they themselves might take up cycling (if you can't beat them, then join them).

it's all a matter of education, european countries do it without a problem. motorists respect and understand that bikes are the way of the future, it keeps petrol prices down, reduces congestion, etc. we have a petrolhead mindset in this country and whilst i agree it's fun we should hop onto a bike when we really don't need to use a car.

at the end of the day, if a cyclist wants to break the law and run the gauntlet he's always going to come off second best against a car. i say let natural selection run its course.

i'm sitting on the fence on this one.

why they need to dress up in tights , shoes and stupid little hats to ride 2 k's to the local coffee shop i cannot understand ?

nothing worse than a overweight 60 yr old in lycra strutting like he is an olympic athlete :sick:

They don't need tights, they choose to wear them to make riding a more enjoyable experience. The need for shoes is pretty obvious as is the need for a helmet (it's the law)

I have no issue with 60 yr olds exercising, i's prefer they look after their health than turn into a fat unhealthy obese blob that burdens the health system with constant need for medical treatment.

If it only occurs 1 day a week, and a quiet traffic day being a Sunday, for 4 hours when most are probably in bed still, what is the problem?

I agree with you Eug.

No european country has a bicycle registration system, China had it and abolished it in 2004.

/>http://www.bike-eu.com/news/new-rule-in-china-no-more-bike-registration-1322.html

Before the reforms, people would have to apply for bicycle plates or face penalty. They had to turn in tax each year and the police would take care of the registered bicycles' safety. The annual tax was four yuan (0.48 US dollars) for one bicycle in Beijing. The abolishment of the bicycle registration system was underpinned by the dwindling value of the bicycle, which was once a major treasure of the Chinese. Also the registration brought too much trouble for citizens and increased the cost of government administration, said Wang Jiayan, deputy director of the Subcommittee of Legislative Affairs of the Beijing Municipal People's Congress, the city legislature.

/>http://www.ecf.com/news/bicycle-registration-is-not-the-answer-for-bad-behaviour/

Professor of Public Health at the University of Sydney, Chris Rissel, discusses whether or not bicycle registration should be mandatory following recent comments from high profile Australian sportsman, Shane Warne.

However, we need to look at the underlying issues here. Do cyclists need to be monitored more closely? Do most cyclists break the road rules? The Amy Gillett Foundation, with Monash academic Marilyn Johnson, used a covert video camera to record cyclists at 10 sites across metropolitan Melbourne from October 2008 to April 2009. They found that of 4,225 cyclists facing a red light, only 6.9% didn’t stop. The vast majority of those who broke the rules were just turning left.

Would registration reduce this rate? Registering bicycles would create more problems than it fixes. It would cost the state far more than it would collect in revenue. The police resources required to enforce a bicycle registration scheme are simply not worth the ability to able to fine a handful of people behaving badly on bicycles.

When a pedestrian or cyclist breaks safety road rules they are most likely to hurt themselves, not others. The cost to society of pedestrians jaywalking, or cyclists riding too fast on a shared path, are miniscule compared to the damage a two tonne mass of metal, rubber and plastic speeding through a red light or stop sign can do.

Lots of active debate on this issue with the general consensus being that registration costs more than it is worth, with little to no impact on rider behavior and be a massive disincentive to cycling.

Bicycle registration would be a powerful disincentive to cycling. All levels of government in Australia have plans and targets to increase levels of cycling, because of the significant health, environmental and congestion-reduction benefits. When people shift trips from driving a car to riding a bike, everyone benefits. But bike registration would likely deter even more riders than mandatory helmet legislation (30-40% of riders stopped cycling when that was introduced).

The article is well written, discusses the reason cars and other vehicles are taxed (weight which causes road damage, therefore a bike would have pretty much minimal tax imposed), insurance, whether u register the rider or the bike etc

A bike having a registration plate would only serve one purpose and that seems to be identification for issuing an infringement notice.

Understood, but Milton to West End is a long way short of 30km and I think for some its more for show than go.

Oh there is no doubt about it that the poser brigade is out in force on occasions :-)

The only damage they do to anything would be to the eyes....some eyesores out there.

i agree what people want to wear is really their choice, you'll also find that the coffee stop is usually on the return leg of a 50km+ journey. distances of 100km+ are not uncommon either, so fair call on the attire.

homer: i've been sent that article before and it's a worthwhile read, maybe throw up the link for some others to read. good find.

They don't need tights, they choose to wear them to make riding a more enjoyable experience. The need for shoes is pretty obvious as is the need for a helmet (it's the law)not helmets , little hats and shoes that are like clogs

I have no issue with 60 yr olds exercising, i's prefer they look after their health than turn into a fat unhealthy obese blob that burdens the health system with constant need for medical treatment.most are fat already from eating bacon and eggs after riding the 2 k's to the local coffee shop

If it only occurs 1 day a week, and a quiet traffic day being a Sunday, for 4 hours when most are probably in bed still, what is the problem?the fact they wake every other person up by yelling at 4 am to their mate and no sunday or saturday is quiet for traffic going to and from wello point

Road rage

1. Riders just need to be considerate

2. Drivers just need to be considerate

Registration

1. Don't register bikes

2. Licence riders and if necessary issue a plate to be displayed on whatever bike they're riding.

3. Set specific rules for riders that are appropriate e.g. time/noise, allowable positions when turning right, etc etc add your own

4. Licensing cost can be absorbed into existing vehicle licensing system. No points monitoring though. Just a fine and a loss of licence where infractions exceed 4 in any 12 month period. More than 4 and 5 years in prison with no lycra.

Attire

1. If male, look away

2. If female, look if you must, or look away if you must.

Policing

1. Only police on bikes can be involved in pursuits

2. Police cyclists to forced to wear lycra (actually all police should just for laughs - hey big sarge lol)

every bike on the road is one less car, less pollution, less wear and tear on the road. I ride mostly in bike lanes and on roads with no shoulder where I would restrict traffic flow I ride on the footpath giving way to pedestrians. I have the go pro recording from the seat post facing backwards so I can identify and refer to the police any moronic driver that wants to be an idiot. Common courtesy is the key and what seems to be lacking these days.

I always hear that statement "every bike on the road is one less car, less pollution, less wear and tear on the road" That is one huge assumption. You are assuming that when people ride the bike it is to get from A to B. Most riders I see use the bike for exercise and not to go to work. (just and opinion)

Do not get me wrong I think more people should ride bikes but I do not agree with them being on the same carriageway.

I've got no issues with the riders who do their best to obey road rules.

But the dooshbags who think they have right of way, you are morons. I'm sorry but there are plenty of road bicycle users who do the right thing, but like everything else a few ruin it for the rest.

Also what I don't understand is why they MUST use the road when a perfectly good flat footpath is right next to them...

I have a lot of hard out cyclist friends and they have these $1000 rims and they do not want to ride the bike on a concrete seemed bike ways. Also they travel to fast for a bike way. The local government if they are serious about people using bike ways they need a bike system similar to a roadway where it is not a shared resource and has appropriate speed limits.

How many of you have traveled into work in the morning only to have to pass a bike several times as they break the law each set of lights and skip past you while stopped. Bikes should not be allowed on clearways. I agree with Booty. They should have to have some form of Rego if they are on the roads. We need it for boats why not bikes. It need not cost much but they need some sort of identification. The argument it will deter people taking up riding is a red herring. People spend heaps on the lycra pants and outfits. $35 to rego the bike is nothing.

I have to say I have a pet hate bicycles and motorbikes running through in between cars at the lights. Why don't the traffic control watch the cameras and book bikes for this. It would not take long before they stopped breaking the law. That is why you need identification on a bike to enable controlling bikes.

I have to say I have a pet hate bicycles and motorbikes running through in between cars at the lights. Why don't the traffic control watch the cameras and book bikes for this. It would not take long before they stopped breaking the law. That is why you need identification on a bike to enable controlling bikes.

because they can't sit in a van on the side of the road and revenue raise from this, they would actually have to have a police presence on the road

because they can't sit in a van on the side of the road and revenue raise from this, they would actually have to have a police presence on the road

I thought this thread was about cyclists?

It's not practical to expect riders to be licenced or register their bikes........ I've got a bike in the shed I might use for 10 minutes every couple of months to ride to the park with my 5 year old son. As if I'm going to register my bike and pay for the privilige of using it once in a blue moon.

I would support a government levy on lycra pants and make it law for rego numbers to be printed across the buttocks though......that way only serious riders who rack up a lot of kays will be forced to have some kind of identifying markings on them and help pay for bike lanes etc.

That is an easy thing to say but hard to implement. Police numbers are already insufficient to manage the current issues they need to deal with. Whether you agree or disagree with traffic fines they are necessary. I order to police it a bike needs identification. If a bike wants to be on a road it needs identification.

Better get plates for pedestrians too then especially the ones that walk on the bike paths that indicate cylclists only. Skateboards, those scooter things need them too.

I think you are missing my point. I am talking about roadways not bike ways. I am not talking about the local streets. I am referring to the congested main arteries around the city. I could take video every morning of a bike rider breaking the law and holding up traffic. It is dangerous for the rider and really hard for cars to avoid them. Clearways are designed to allow traffic to flow.

We need a way of tracking the riders doing the incorrect thing. If not rego then just a plate. They can get fined if a plate is "accidently" knocked off.

Haines you said you run a gopro to catch vehicles doing the wrong thing around you, forcing you off the road. Thats a great idea. I want a way to report them because currently the only way is to pull over and ask for there details, like that would happen. My cars have been scratched and damaged due to them, see them run lights all the time.

I am a dirtbike and roadbike rider. If I pulled a quarter of the stuff I see every day I would loose my license within a day.

I'm not 100% but there is some rule somewhere here or vic where you can ride past cars in left lane if they are stationary. i don't do it because its too risky, I ride mine like a car.

But what about if they dont have a front plate or any other identifying features? ;)

Archived