Calling all Flathead fisherman

jamesd

Hi Lads,

My brother is coming up to visit next week and we are having a state of origin bet going on. He's waiting to chase a few tings and flathead. After a few trips with youngy I'm sure we'll be able to land a few tings but I'm also looking at taking him to the pin for a session but as I've never fished there before I was wondering if anyone can help me out with some inside info so to speak.

I've had a look at nuggets map but as I've learnt from youngy nothing beats local knowledge.

Cheers,

James

Here is my formula for flatties, seems to work anywhere I have tried. Head out in the last few hours of the run out tide. Find a sand bar or drop off of some sort, the mouth of any small creeks/rivers should be a good place to start and use the tide to drift along the length of it. As the tide goes out, the flatties are sitting in the deeper sections waiting for all the bait that gets washed off the sand bar. if using lures, throw them right up in the shallows and hop then down the drop off, just like a baitfish getting washed down. i am sure the same applies for bait.

Here is my formula for flatties, seems to work anywhere I have tried. Head out in the last few hours of the run out tide. Find a sand bar or drop off of some sort, the mouth of any small creeks/rivers should be a good place to start and use the tide to drift along the length of it. As the tide goes out, the flatties are sitting in the deeper sections waiting for all the bait that gets washed off the sand bar. if using lures, throw them right up in the shallows and hop then down the drop off, just like a baitfish getting washed down. i am sure the same applies for bait.

+1

another general rule I have found is the bigger the bait/lure the bigger the flathead, like 25cm+ lures or live mullet the same size and bigger

Wow really? Never considered using such a massive lure for a flattie :blink: thanks for the tip bommie! I'll try that theory this weekend when I hit up my favourite flathead spot on the broady :)

the bigger the bait / plastic / lure works...... i sold some 6" bozo grubs to some blokes who were fishin the classic... they went out for a pre fish at the pin and reckon they caught 9 flatties...none under 80cm..... there's got to be something in that........ive always put out a 7" paddle tail when i went there and drifted through some channels.....havent picked anything up but its always worth a try.......and i do know that along the left hand side shoreline (as you're heading towards the pin ) has some nice drop offs and you're always in with a good chance to pick up a few........just my 2 cents worth and good luck!

for soft plastic's I start with this, the big jighead is to keep it on the bottom when the tide starts to rip

post-2146-144598784345_thumb.jpg

and the smallest hard bodies I run these that dive to 8m

post-2146-144598784355_thumb.jpg

post-2146-144598784367_thumb.jpg

hardbodies, soft plastics and live bait fished in ledges down to 17m can produce some monsters,

not saying that you won't catch big flatties on small lures though, it just seems to increase your chance

my personal favourites are manns stretch 5+ 10+ and micro mullets in hot pink. troll, drift along any creek, weed bank, sand bank on the 2nd last of the run out and you can be pretty confident of a flatty. cover as much ground as you can, i usually go up one bank back down another and repeat in a big loop. flatties are pretty lazy would rather hit something that swims above their head than forage around.

my rule of thumb is to select a lure that will bury (i.e. 5m lure at 4m depth), so the bib will jerk into the ground and puff up bits of sand.

hope this helps

if your on the northside try hays inlet 2hrs before low its a bit hard getting in but once youve passed the bridges its good we cleaned up on flatty and mud crabs on 6pound whiting rigs yesterday ,

and if you got pots use them

check out my picks the muddy we caught on the line , we dropped i reckon 5 more crabs , we were using bought prawns and we got smashed on them , we are getting yabbies tomorrow arvo from bribie and going to try early saturday morning i think the tides all work

hey,

there are numerous flats and drop offs around the south bay islands (mcleay etc) try those with plastics, baits and HB lures. i haven't been round the pin for a while...

i agree about the size of bait playing a part in the size of the flatty, bigger the better, i personally use baits around 5inches (HB and plastics). pink coloured lures work a treat ;)

hope you blokes get onto some good fish, the guys on here seem to have hit the nail on the head so you shouldnt have any problems

hey,

there are numerous flats and drop offs around the south bay islands (mcleay etc) try those with plastics, baits and HB lures. i haven't been round the pin for a while...

i agree about the size of bait playing a part in the size of the flatty, bigger the better, i personally use baits around 5inches (HB and plastics). pink coloured lures work a treat ;)

hope you blokes get onto some good fish, the guys on here seem to have hit the nail on the head so you shouldnt have any problems

Hi Mike,

What SP and HB lures do you use?

Cheers,

James

Archived