prawning

binzzy

hey guys i want to use my cast net to get some prawns for bait whats the best way to go about this ive been lookin for info but i cant find any good info, ive been told old lettuce will get them hanging around, but what do i look for wen lookin for a good spot to throw the net are weedbeds a good idea

I was at the Colmslie ramp last nigth for an hour of so on the run in tide an i caught about 1/2 kilo of prawns. Not many were big enough to eat - there was enough for a sangar though plus plenty for bait. Might try again next week and see if the size is better. At least i know that the net I made works.

I was at the Colmslie ramp last nigth for an hour of so on the run in tide an i caught about 1/2 kilo of prawns. Not many were big enough to eat - there was enough for a sangar though plus plenty for bait. Might try again next week and see if the size is better. At least i know that the net I made works.

Good stuff mate - worth the effort. Am hoping to try this arvo if the rain clears. Is that the ramp behind the hockey centre? So you made your own castnet? - impressive!!!!

yeah made my own net, top pocket with chain weight line, I might even try and sell a couple. It is the ramp behind the hockey ground, I'm hoping to go back down tomorrow night and see if they are schooling up - a couple more prawn sangers would be great.

Hey Binzy, I haven't heard of the piece of lettuce before. There is plenty of food in the river already. I think you need to throw in the right locations. Timing is very important too. In the bay you find them in depressions soon after high tide. They then move towards the shallows to feed. The lower the tide the more likely you will find them in the shallows.They eventually pull back to "the deep" at low tide. Nudgees different they come on with a bang at Sunrise.

You just need to cast in the right spots.

A real good cast net can make a real difference too. My neighbour down the road at Carbrook is a well known netmaker. I bought one off him last year, after a turtle decide to make a quick exit from my castnet one day. He warned me off the cheap netting from out redcliffe way. He had some line 3 or was it 4 ? and There was huge difference between the mono from Redcliffe which I ripped easily, and his mono, which hurt my fingers trying to rip. He also says the Redcliffe stuff slips on the knotting too.

He's Not cheap though. In both forms of the phrase But you get what you pay for, too.

Not much around last night - only one or two prawns per cast - plenty were bait size.

I use the mono from redcliffe - it is fine, it makes a good net - the net I was using last night is over 2 years old and has had plenty of work - no tears or holes, but you have to be careful where you throw. The line 3 or 4 relates to the thickness of the mono. Send me a PM if you would like to see a net made from "Redcliffe" mono - you might change your mind about getting what you pay for.

I might see if my neighbour can do a video of the Redcliffe mono versus the stuff he uses. You will be shocked , Wazza. Aren't you the guy selling Cast nets on Ausfish and Nuggets forum? Didn't I see you at the Nugget auction day last weekend?

Hello,

Did I read correctly, those mono nets from "Redcliffe" are good :ohmy: ??

I don't think so.

I reside on the north side of Brisbane and have brought and used a net from "Redcliffe" and its dodgey as. The knots slip big time and the material is not so good :( . The elcheapo net I purchased from BCF was a lot better in comparison to "Redcliffe" net :) .

Been catching a few prawns with this net, paid a fortune for it and not worth it, lesson learnt :angry: so I've been searching for another net elsewhere and found one that was much better quality with no knott slippage :cheer: .

Tight drawstrings everyone

Chewbacoo

No Chewie I don't have the dodgy nets from redcliffe as I have not sold any nets - I have given away a couple of my first nets to work friends and relatives in Bundaberg, but none have been sold.

If you want to have a look at the nets I make, let me know as I'm happy to show them and to get your feedback so I can learn more - I have only been making nets for a little while. I started to make a net because I could not afford to pay $300+ for a net as money is very tight. No one was prepared to help with any ideas on how to make a net until I spoke to a couple of old guys at deepwater. So I'm self taught and make nets as a hobby. I know how long it takes me to make a net and I know how much it costs in materials, if you or skippy are able to offer advice on how to improve the nets I'm happy to meet.

Thanks

Wazza10

Archived