Ningi Creek 06-08-06

Angus

Gday everyone.

Well, as promised James, Ash and myself hit up Ningi creek in James's Kayaks today at dawn through till about 3:00pm. (This was Ash and my first Kayak fishing trip). This was to be a no bait day. Hardbodies and Soft Plastics only!

It was a perfect morning. Despite the forecast for heavy wind and possible rain we had quite still water and the sun was breaching the horizon.

So downstream we went in search of Flathead. The day started fantastically with James hooking up about 5mins into trolling and landing a smallish flathead (30 odd cm's). This was echoed minutes later, however this second fish was dropped. This early action certainly had us all very keen and optimistic.

About another 30mins later my rod buckled over. I tried my practiced calm and begun retrieving. The lure i was using was a small purple poltergiste. I knew whatever on the other end was large and i was already dreaming of my first legal Flathead on hardbody! To my amazement not long after a smallish ray breached. What made this amazing was that i had not jagged this ray, it had actually snapped up the lure! After some careful manouvering the ray was on its way.

Towards the mouth of the creek saw some more action as well. Not long after drifting along some old Oyster leases and James was onto a fish. Turned out to be a whiting nearly as big as his plastic! Hungrey bugger. Not to be outdone i soon landed my next fish to the same purple poltergiste.This time a nice looking pike.

After that we beached for a while and did some casting off a drop off. Although i tried every lure in my box and a great assortment of Plastics, this got me nothing. However James did manage another small flatty. we also met another Kayak fisherman at the mouth \"Alby\". See you have signed up mate so welcome. Alby scored a nice little GT to Hardbody while we fishing from the bank. Hope to run into you again mate!

We began heading back and trolling was the game. This proved little luck with the only fish two more pike. One to James and one to Me. Back were we started we decided to spend a littel time with a few more casts. Im glad we did. In teh space on about 10mins i successfully landed two Flathead. Both on Brown 3'' Berkley Powerbaits. I was stoked i must say as i pretty much doubles my SP and HB count in one day :P.

All fish caught were released unharmed.

All in all a great day.

Thanks James for showing us yet another great location.

Angus [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Glasshouse_Mountains.JPG

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/08/07 09:15

post-63-144598399859_thumb.jpg

angus, grate report and well done on all your fish on sp's and h/b:). looks like james was a good gide and showed you all the good spots. Are you able to get to the spot land based in the shallows where you fished for flattys land baesed.

cheers ando and well done boys

Allo spots fished are accessible only by Canoe or Kayak.

A power boat would even have trouble due to the large number of bars.

Perfect Flathead country though.

Dave: The Kayaks (not canoes) were Jame's.

Im not entirely sure but i think i did hear him mention to Ash somewhere in the 600 dollar range.

Cheers.

Angus

Good stuff, Great report. I haven't done that for years.

I was thinking that you must be stoked to fish all those different locations but after consideration of that thought my hats off to you for having the get up and go to do it.

I think most of us could take a page from your book and become more adventurous.

Could to hear you release em unharmed - I have caught a ray on plastics before but I cut the line and let it keep the jighead. Your braver then me.

id just like to add angus that it was great to have two more sets of eyes on the water...you guys pointed out a couple of places that i have paddled past . thanx for coming up this way yet again but yuo guys will have to come back this way in a mnth or so when the flatty will be schoolling up everywhere.....and heres the pic of the monster from the deep!:evil: cheers to angus and ash [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/monster57k.JPG

post-180-144598399878_thumb.jpg

Archived