scarborough reef

jimb090

Hi Everyone,

I was after some information on where the scarborough reef was and the best way to get there. I only have a 3.9m tinney with a 25hp, Has anyone been out there in a little tinney and is there a better time of day to go? I am only fairly new to boating and wanting to see if i can get my hands on some snapper. I have heard that is the spot otherwise any suggestions

James

You will be fine getting there in that size boat as long as its not really windy. Best time for snapper is First light. Best location, well, thats a secret ;)

Give you a hint though, where there's rock, there's fish. Just keep your eyes open and you will be right.

Also if you haven't been there before check it out on a flat day on low tide to find out where all the shallow rock is. Heard quite a few horror stories of new boats getting beached.

Either of the scarby boat ramps should be fine there. Its just a short drive around from the ramp. Google earth will actaully show a little of the rock up but there is a long point that goes out to a black marker so be careful

If you go there at low tide a lot of it is exposed.be careful and go slow when approaching for the first time as there are clumps of reef that just pop up on you.also that marker has reef the other side of it as well so give it a wide birth.

I think the northern one you described is also called castlereigh or north reef.

There are plenty of other little outcrops further south so its worth motoring around to find them. Some are just as easy to get to from deep water bend but like the others have said wAtch the wind as even with it being so close it can become a long bumpy trip home for a small tinnie.

Good luck.

Launch at scarborough, head out the harbor and turn right. Look for an old stick coming out of the water and a bunch of boats parked around the places. There is rock and rubble for a few hundred metres, so head out when it's light and have and have a drift around. Good luck!

Archived