What the Fish is that!!....

Peachster

post-10821-144598813329_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

My first new post so please be gentle.... newish to Brisbane and new to fishing in QLD but what a beautiful place to go fishing.

Went out with a mate in the bay to St Helena and caught many fish, squire, grinner and this odd looking fella (see photo). I've shown all my fishy mates, even BCF and Tackle Warehouse guys and one of them reckons it could be a leatherjacket.... if so, what flavour of jacket is it?? It was a lovely looking fish.

Thanks for your help,

Peachy

Hi mate,

Many thanks for clearing that up. 2nd time out on the bay and loved every minute of it. Already teeing up the missus about our own tinny / boat. Caught some great Squire, Bream and Parrotfish as well.

Any tips or spots for land based fishing would be appreciated. Been to the rocks at Fishermans Island and its a great spot for Bream but would love to know a few alternative spots to try and catch some different species. based at Cannon hill but willing to travel. :-)

Cheers

Paul

hey mate welcome to the site. Just be careful St Helena is a Green zone I think.

Hi Crazy,

thanks for the welcome mate much appreciated. Very excited about my new sport, was brought up by the sea in the UK and didn't realise how much I missed it until my missus bought me my first rod n reel for my birthday in April. That'll learn her!! Fished a bit in the UK but the main thing I caught there was a 'cold'!! :blush:

Yeah I went with a guy who had the green zones on his GPS all safe. I'll be looking to get my own tinny over the next 12 months, might wait for the next tinny & tackle show.

For now, just happy with the odd day out with my mate and some land based fishing on the southside, will travel for a good spot though or happy to keep a lone fishy on his boat company.... B)

Thx again for the welcome.

Cheers

Paul

Hi mate

Plenty of spots to try landbased not far from you. A few to get you started. You can fish the Brisbane River at Colmslie, try the rock walls around Manly Boat Harbour (drop in to Water Tower Bait and Tackle on the way and get some live blood worms), the mouth of Lota Creek at low tide or the canals and beaches around Raby Bay - flathead, bream, whiting, tailor, flounder, pike, moses perch, squire plus others are all able to be caught in these areas from the bank.

Cheers

Chris

Archived