Only want to catch a very small fish

Avitir

This may sound silly but I only want to catch small tiddlers like Hardyheads or Poddy mullet. I don't want to catch anything that will give more than a tug for a fight as I my 2 year old son desperately wants to go fishing but I don't want him to hook anything that will pull too hard, an easy wind in is what I want for him that he can manage himself and have the joy of catching a fish- the sporting side of a Threadie or other game fish can come on the second outing for him lol. We have been practicing 'catching fish' with some old lures cast out of my garage but he wants to go proper fishing now at the real water.

Is there anywhere shore-based at the moment where some hungry small baitfish are lurking in any numbers that anyone knows of?

For what you mentioned just pick almost any easy to fish piece of water, jetties are good. Take an old loaf of bread and a bucket, mash the bread in some water drop small amounts in that should turn into a cloud of bread bits. Any baitfish and reasonable fish in the area should come a running for a free feed. A number 8 or 10 size hook on a 45cm trace and say a 3 ball sinker (not really important) on a swivel. Bait with pressed on bread or a small piece of squid if having trouble keeping the bait on, and let if waft in the bread/burley trail.

Could get anything from hardiheads to gar, mullet, butter bream, bream and lots more.

you dont necessarly need to go for really tine fish, my boys first fish when he was only 2 was a flounder and it fought a little, but i just helped him catch it just hold the rod and reel with him and guide him so he learns how its done, just be aware that they lose patience really quickly and he may not want to go fishing all day

Archived