Reel Maintainance

Angus

Well lets see,

I bought my Alvey reels 25 years ago, I replaced the line on them this year for the first time, thats about it. (And then only because I wanted to downgrade the line size, must thinner stuff around now). They have not had any other maintenance, except for a quick rinse in the surf before I go home.

I suppose I have got a bit soft, I chuck the rods in the new shed now, I used to leave the rods on the old shed roof, but after 4 years of sun, (when I moved house 5 years ago I no longer had a shed long enough for the rods) I had to re-do some of the guides - stuff that for a joke!

My eggbeaters, if the kids have been using them, I usually stick them under the tap to wash of the sand / dirt, then chuck them in the shed. Otherwise straight in the shed. Honestly, my egg beater reels cost me $20 each, any time spent on maintenance is a net loss, they have lasted more than 6 months without a problem, so I am definately ahead.

Yes yes yes Andrew.

Im not talking about Alveys.

I also have two alveys i got over ten years ago and they still have the same line. And i dont think i even dunk tehm in the surf most of the time :P

But i think if i found my Culcutta siezed up after only a couple of uses i would be quite annoyed! I know you \"need\" a reel like this.

However id like to see a 1m barra at Awwonga brought in on that Alvey.

Actually i might take an alvey to Awoonga and try just that!

Angus

did my calcutta myself and had to put in in to be done professionally now just wash in fresh and a light squirt with crc trying to avoid spraying the line. my feeling if you are going to spend a couple of hundred on a reel its worth looking after so now get them done about every 18 months in a bulk lot.

ray

angus, after going fishing every time i wash my reels, the best and safest way to do it is to look up your drag tight, then spinkle water over it. About 30 mins after letting in drip dry in the sun for about 3omin i dry it of with a rag shake it and spin the handle a few times to get any assecess water of the reel after doing that i lossen the drag so there is no preasure one on the reel. That will keep your reel in top condishion

hey guys...

ive done my spinning reels and overheads a number of times...

i normally take off both side plates and remove the handle for my overheads and rinse with water... then wipe it down and leev it in the sun for 5 mins to completly dry it out... then re lube it on all the gears and bearings etc.

with my spinners i take off the spool and handle rinse wipe, leev in sun for a few mins, relube and put bak together... make sure u lube the gears and spring on top and under the spool... if you realy feel like it you can remove the side plates but its really not necesary unles uve dropped your reel in the water, mud or sand...

for a spin rod you wont need any tools unles u remove the side plates, then you will need a screw driver... for an over head u will need a screwdriver and spanner to remove the handle and sideplates... sometimes u may need something to push the nut lock around deping on type of reel... u can just use a screwdriver for this

never use crc, wd40, rp7 or things like that... the main reason is that dirt, salt and sand stick to these lubricants... also being a spray on lube u can sometimes spray the line... and if its braid it absorbs it much beter then mono..

using the lube that comes with your reel is much better as it doesnt attract all the crap you dont want... if you dont have any you can buy proper stuff called 'reel lube' which is about $2 per tube if you want top stuf you can got a whole $3 further...

troy

Angus wrote:

However id like to see a 1m barra at Awwonga brought in on that Alvey.

Actually i might take an alvey to Awoonga and try just that!

Angus

You know there's an idea, I'm gunna pack the 10 foot surf rod, change the line on the old Alvey 650 to 20lb, and see what a real fishing setup can catch! (I wonder if Barra like pillies?), the old alvey 650 can probably hold 1k of 20lb line, so could be interesting!

I might add that I have used a Alvey 700 surf reel on a 7 foot ugly stick before, quite successfully, for tailor from a boat.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/08/07 21:54

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

Usually i just do what Ando does.. Lock the drag and put it under the tap for a few seconds and then let it dry..

the other day i decided to oil my line roller bearings and now...it makes a F**ked up noise.. im now gona take it to a tackle shop to get it repaired, and im never trying to do nething on my reels again. especially since this is my SOL..:(

Cheer

• 1 month later...

I give my spinners a \"rinse\" (with a tight drag) under the tap after every trip in salt. After letting them dry out I use a 3-in-1 oil and put a tiny spot at each side of the roller, then with a length of spare line run it back and forth for a minute or two. Never had a problem with my rollers:)

Also make sure bail arm is free of grit and a spot of oil on the anti-reverse switch as well.

Thats about all I do unless it is a complete strip down internally and relube, which I do very infrequently (like 3 or 4 years maybe).

Oh I make sure the line on the spool gets a good rinse too. When salt water drys it leaves very fine salt crystals that are rough on the line.

Archived