Reel to replace Stradic ci4 4000

mattza13

Gday guys,

I am now in the market to replace my two year old stradic which is a complete pos. I am just chasing some opinions on what else comparible is around. It will be matched to a daiwa spell binder 762 5-9kg. I plan on running 20lb braid and use the reel for everything. I spend alot of time offshore chasing snapper pearlies etc. Throw a few plastics with it and catch as many tuna as physically possible. I am looking at spending up to 400 max but bot sure which way to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Matt

c14 stradic bodies just not rigid enough too much flex and after time you get alot of play in the reel compared to to a metal body. We have had one snap at the stem

If you want strength go full metal/alloy

If you want light go with a mag body

That said depends on the thickness of the body and material

I had a thunnus 4000ci4 and it was a lot more ridgid sturdy then a stradic c14

Check out the twinpower sw6000 i have this coupled with my nitro viper i use to use a 4000 size reel on this rod

/>http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_39_41_1186&products_id=7974%5B/url

Ive got 3000 size Luvias and I'v flogged it on barra and jacks, can't recommend it enough. It'll hold about the same amount of line as a 4000 size shimano. I use to love shimano but wouldn't touch one these days as they have reduced the quality apparently :whistle: Rayannes have them for $299, which i reckon is very cheap.

/>http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/rods-reels/daiwa/daiwa-spin-reels/daiwa-luvias-da-custom-299/

Comments in this post aren't aimed at hurting anyones feelings. :P :silly: :whistle:

Hey

I have had this reel for 2 years in October. It has had a hard life. Its first reel fish was a tuna over 10kg in the first week. Which wad a week solid fishing. I loved the reel for the first 12 months. From there the drag got rough. The bearings where rooted. The one way clutch was also stuffed. Now to top it off i was smashing snapper in 100m.of water and when i was fighting them the spool has started to get a sideward movement on top of the up and down movement. I really don't wanna loose a good fish due to it breaking so will down grade it to 10lb braid and only use it as an extra reel. I have always washed the reel with a hose on a mist or warm soapy water as well. I believe some of the problems are from salt. We fish a wet 5.5m cc most o. the time. i was thinking about a daiwa because of the mag seal too. Is it as good as the advert makes it sound.

Cheers

I bought it over here. I am currently dealing with shimano about it to see what i can do. However may buy another reel from the states in the meantime as my old man is there atm. I have thought about the normal stradics and have used a 5000 a few times and i don't mind it. I am a lil hesitant to buy another shimano for this purpose tho as i won't buy a second hand reel and fairly limited to my budget atm. A bit of a catch 22.

If your fishing deeper water you might have a look at a reel with a lower gear ratio and maybe something with carbon drags like sw series with a lower gear ration easier to turn over and prob relieve some pressure of the bearings.

Stradic c14 have a pretty high retrieve rate ratio 6.0:1

New biomaster has a lower ratio at 5.0:1

New stradic range all seem be high gear

certate 3500hd not a bad reel once upgrade the drag to carbon might be worth havin a look at options are endless...

Dont be fooled by mag seal they fail...

If you got time for a read check out these links and tell me which reel company is working for your hard earned $$$
/>http://www.stripersonline.com/t/768370/daiwa-saltiga-2010-the-review

/>http://www.stripersonline.com/t/647666/shimano-stella-sw-the-review

i've got a saragosa 8000F, same physical size as the 5000F, just a touch lighter (deeper spool so less wieght in it) i don't look after very well, just a quick spray with the hose when i come in and its still as smooth as the day i bought it 2 years ago

Archived