Mack Tuna Brissy River mouth

bunchofbananas

Went out Saturday morning for a quick session around the mouth of the Brissy river in the search for some more snaps. Things were a bit quiet until a school of Mack Tuna erupted right next to the boat, my brother Mick flicked his 3 inch power bait into the honey spot and got wiped out (8lb leader ha ha). We decided to chase them around with some slugs and plastics, Mick connected again as I was the driver (captain chaser) but this one just about spooled him, so we gave chase. Half an hour of fun we got him to the boat, pretty good on a 2-4kg spin rod with a 2000 Sol reel (Tuna 7-8kg). They stayed around for about an hour on the last of the run out tide.

the Tuna was kept for some gun Tailor bait as my bro lives down the Goldy (smoked Tailor here we come)

Great to see them so active but also wish they were long Tails :woohoo:

Kev

post-10628-144598837223_thumb.jpg

Why would you waste a perfectly good Mack Tuna as bait? I'd eat a properly looked after Mack before Taylor any time.

Important thing with Mack Tuna is to kill, bleed, chill it immediately. Then when you fillet get rid of the deep red bloodline. I think the main reason people don't like them is because they do have dark meat that detoriorates quickly if not looked after right. Makes for excellent sashimi.

Because they make excellent bait for snapper etc

Why would you waste a perfectly good Mack Tuna as bait? I'd eat a properly looked after Mack before Taylor any time.

Important thing with Mack Tuna is to kill, bleed, chill it immediately. Then when you fillet get rid of the deep red bloodline. I think the main reason people don't like them is because they do have dark meat that detoriorates quickly if not looked after right. Makes for excellent sashimi.

ye we headed out Sunday out to moreton we found 2 nice schools of mactuna,

post-5664-144598837446_thumb.jpg

awesome size school. I got a real solid mactuna biggest one i've got. Went out to the wrecks near the measure mile scored a solid Jew on live slimey.

post-5664-14459883746_thumb.jpg

post-5664-144598837466_thumb.jpg

On the way home hit a school of solid longtail, fought this fish for about half n hour the bloody jig head snaped, i just got a big fustrated and gave it a bit more then i should have, owell there will always be another one out there, i hoope.

post-5664-144598837475_thumb.jpg

i'll just add this photo of a solid Black jew, that i got from Darwin couple weeks back

post-5664-144598837513_thumb.jpg

Archived