Offshore - Straddy 5/8/12

linc87

Hey Guys, this is my first report on here so let me know if it too long/ what info you are looking for.

So late Friday afternoon we received the confirmation the leave pass had been granted for a day’s fishing Sunday. (Mate with the boat has a new bub and getting leave passes from the manager of domestic affairs can prove difficult at times). We packed up the boat Saturday night in preparation for an early scoot across the bay to catch the pre-dawn bite, hoping get some of these snapper showing up on reports.

I had picked up the new reel on Saturday to put on the live fibre venom that I got from the missus as a bday present. (talica 12 single speed) Thank you tax return!!! I knew it was overkill for the fishing we were going to be doing but was a little too excited to play with it and couldn’t leave it at home.

post-11156-144598837353_thumb.jpg

Early start saw us at wellington pt ramp just before 4, a dodgy relay on the starter put the fear of god in us when the motor would not kick over for the first 20 minutes at the ramp but got that fixed and we were off! A quick trip across the bay to a flat SPB saw us out at 7’s at about 5:15.

I was committed to using plastics on Sunday and started flicking hoping for a hit while the boys opted pillys/squid. First fish on board was a nice tusky, about 50cm just on dawn. Followed shortly after by a nice spangled to about 75cm and 2 more similar sized tuskys (all fish caust on bait).

post-11156-14459883739_thumb.jpg

post-11156-144598837401_thumb.jpg

Things were pretty quiet for me and I was tiring of the plastics until I one good hit just before 9. I was losing line rapidly when PING!! My braid had rubbed the sea anchor and the fish was gone :( . I then Spat the dummy and decided it was time to bring out the new combo.

2 drops later we had a double hook up, 2 more nice spanged at around 80cm. The new rig handled the spangled without raising a sweatïŠïŠ, I now look forward to putting it through its paces on a trip up to the Percy group mid-September.

post-11156-144598837411_thumb.jpg

Things went quiet for a while then on our last drift before heading to another spot we boated another nice tusky – about 52cm.

post-11156-14459883742_thumb.jpg

It Looked pretty crowded at boat so decided to hit shag and soak some liveys. There was bloke spearfishing at shag and to our amazement scrambled up on top of the middle rock (getting smashed by the small waves in the process) and held up a massive cobia for photos from the boat load of people anchored up. It would have been 15-20kg and a great effort on a spear!!

post-11156-14459883743_thumb.jpg

Managed landing 1 bonito and 1 mac tuna at shag but the thought of getting home, cleaning the boat and fish before the drive back to Toowoomba was playing on my mind. We soon pulled the pin on what was a great day on the water.

post-11156-144598837436_thumb.jpg

Dhess - I put 50lb Daiwa tournament 8 on it.

Shane - paid $509 for it. I nearly bought it from OS, but for some reason i just dont trust the OS sellers, I have bought a sustain 4000 fg from an international seller. Got a great price but the main drive gear seems a little looser than I thought it would be. May have absolutely nothing to do with the face it came from OS though i could just be paranoid.

I do like to support local tackle shops though so will always buy local in the future.

Archived