Razor wire?

Nitris

I was just wondering what the rules are for razor wire in queensland. B) Have a bit of fence I don't want my neighbors dogs jumping and ripping apart my new puppy. Both of us have large blocks at least one acre the other one and a half acres. So its not like I live in the city. Did a bit of a search on google and I'm not sure.

Cheers in advance.

It depends on which council you are in, but in most cases barbed wire can only be used on industrial/Rural land and cannot be in an area that endangers the people living around it.

Also has to be 2 meters high.

Check out these links.

/>http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/laws-permits/complaints-and-fines/fences-boundary-disputes/index.htm
/>http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/laws-and-permits/fences/barbed-wire-fences

got a feeling razor wire is illegal for private use as it is considered a man trap. take a look at the prison fences the razor wire fence is between two normal fences so nothing can get near it, there are pretty styrict rules about barbed wire too.

besides it wont stop the dogs jumping up, it will just cause a lot of pain and damage.

i'd be having a big rethink about this. think cruelty, think about the rspca bringing charges. think council by laws

yeh i thought it be like that... Already lost a chicken to the dogs (in saying that my chicken did wander onto their property) and its totally the chickens fault for going into the other property... figured the razor wire would slow the dog down fast enough to make it rethink, and was only a part of my property that i have the puppy in not the chickens.... Im fairly sure my land is zoned rural.

Also with rspca laws.. u reckon if a dog is in your yard killing ur chickens or puppy and me being the owner of the land and animals has a right to basically stop the dog that is attacking with lethal forces? As your also standing up for other animals that are being unfairly harmed? glass half full situation.

I don't think i will use razor wire I was just having trouble finding information on it. Thought someone would know. The prisons do have it in a fenced area, but im sure at places like mt crosby weir its on the fence around the facilities, without a first fence.

There are a few other things i have came across. like this cable u run around the perimeter and u can set it to shock a dog wearing a collar that comes within a set distance of ur choosing. just be a matter of getting the dogs to wear the collar. Those setups seam to come with 300m of wire and a shock collar for around $450.

I guess im just a bit jumpy as lost a chicken yesterday (chicken should not have been in their yard) and got the puppy yesterday and the dogs were not being nice at all at the fence, which is not high at all. I guess electric fence would also be something to look at.

But yeh like i said.. i was more chasing info on it. I dont want any beef with my neighbors over it, and im sure we can come to a solution.

Thanks again gents for the quick responses :)

as has been said razor wire will just maim a dog it wont stop it at all especially if the dog is antisocial enough to kill a puppy most dogs will kill chooks not overly their fault hell they are dogs id look at electric fencing around the top of your existing fences if run 6 inches over the fence the dog will go the jump get a belt and shit itself .failing this id look at a large chain mesh fence that the dogs cant get through this would have to be unreasonably large though as dogs are bloody good at getting in/out if they really want to

yes you can hire a licensed person to shoot animals invading your property and harming your stock etc but its expensive and will definately put the neighbours back up .

id try meeting the neighbours their dogs etc get all the animals on happy terms and find a cheap source for replacement chooks as shit happens with chooks and dogs some times they play nice but not allways

if you need a star picket driver to do some fencing i can happily lend you a good one and some pliers etc even show you how to strain a fence without a strainer :)

good luck

jason

as has been said razor wire will just maim a dog it wont stop it at all especially if the dog is antisocial enough to kill a puppy most dogs will kill chooks not overly their fault hell they are dogs id look at electric fencing around the top of your existing fences if run 6 inches over the fence the dog will go the jump get a belt and shit itself .failing this id look at a large chain mesh fence that the dogs cant get through this would have to be unreasonably large though as dogs are bloody good at getting in/out if they really want to

yes you can hire a licensed person to shoot animals invading your property and harming your stock etc but its expensive and will definately put the neighbours back up .

id try meeting the neighbours their dogs etc get all the animals on happy terms and find a cheap source for replacement chooks as shit happens with chooks and dogs some times they play nice but not allways

if you need a star picket driver to do some fencing i can happily lend you a good one and some pliers etc even show you how to strain a fence without a strainer :)

good luck

jason

What he said B)

good luck

jason

Cheers jason for the kind offer of lending me what i would need to make it higher. I'll defiantly keep that in mind...

The more i think about electric fences the more i think that if the dog is in mid flight over the fence it would probably still have the momentum up and come over the fence maybe a little shocked B) pun intended.. I'm most likely going to have to raise it a bit as my dog will eventually just bound over that.. I'm hoping by then they get along a bit better.

Haines has given me a few good ideas on fence design too.

And yes chickens do get slayed by some dogs, I guess it comes down the the temperament of the dog as I know some dogs that I was sure would be all over them seam to be scared of chickens, then others of the same breed just want to put them in their mouth and shake the life outta them with the lock jaws they possess. Like i said, it was totally the chickens fault for going over said fence. Its a shame for them too as they can only let their chickens out for a run when the dogs are tied up. I was told this after the fact.

So it can only be a pro shooter that can lay a dog down that is in your yard? I was wondering what happened if I'm home i can hear a dog going sick in at my chickens, or dawg. It has one of them in its mouth... Am i allowed to slay it with a hunting bow that I may have sitting there in my animals defense? U reckon the rspca would call killer on me try to lay charges. I'm sure this wont happen and in no way would I be one to kill something for fun.

Everyone is allowed to have what dog they want, and My neighbors are keeping an extra sharp eye on their dogs for now. I'm sure we can work out a solution.

Your suggestion of higher fence is the only way I can go.

Cheers for the feed back guys B)

Archived