WHAT THE \"SP\"

Dave

I need some help/advice with \"SP's\"

I have flicked around 1 once or twice done no good so gave up. Want to give them another go for flathead & bream maybe.

What's the best way to rig them up?

Also what's the most common \"SP\" for each?

ANY HELP HAS TO BE GOOD.:woohoo:

Rig them so the hook enters at the front and the barb comes out through the top of the plastic. (Unless texas rigging them, when you enter the front, go straight under the plastic then back in near the barb, with the barb just under the topsurface, I only do this to avoid weed)

The plastic must be straight with no curves or bunches! (spoils the action)

Attach to line using a loop knot.

I prefer Shads, but that is a matter of personal choice.

I dont regularly fish for either mentioned species, so I'll let others tell you their fav types.

hmm Go for flatties, so much easier once you find them. If you are for flatties go for bright colours like pink and a jighead heavy enough to hit the bottom fairly quickly. Remember where the flat head are(on the bottom) so you gotta keep your sp there. then some wrist snaps to get it going and you should be right.

Thanks for all the help, think I'll give the flatties a go first.

From what I have been reading think I'll try using 3\" Gulp minnow pumpkinseed on 1/16th jighead.

That is unless anyone else has a starting place that's better.

mate the 3inch is good for both but dont be scared to use the bigger ones i used 5inch fork tailed minows in nuclear chicken (bright red and green) with a 1/2 once jighead and got plent of hits at the flat head trip, even small whiting were hitting them and caught a nice flattie you will be suprised at the fish that will still hit a bigger bait. i would cast and let it hit the bottom then slowy wind in and just twitch the rod every couple of winds so it would bounce of the bottom but also stay in a flatties strike zone, im still very new to sp's but it got me my first fish on sp this way.

Base the weight on location etc. For example i was using 1/4 and 1/2 for bream on the weeks. But that was into surf so it was required.

As Tim said, flatties are easy targets on SP's. They really love them. And your dead on. Pumpkin Seed is a great colour.

Cheers.

Angus

After a trip to Amart & Big W got what some jigheads & packet of 3\" minnow pumpkinseed SP

\"SP\" on special at Amart, but Big W had the jigheads at a better price by about $2.00

Bit wet to give them a go today, will try during the week early afternoon I hope

Dave,

Might be a bit late since you've already been shopping, but then again, maybe I can give you an excuse to go back to the tackle store?

Basic lure for starters, 3\" AusSpin curl tail grub in \"fire pumpkin\". This lure is deadly for flathead & bass. Got a dozen lizards on it in a couple of hours on each of my two most recent trips.

I recently picked up some 75mm BOZOS smelt/galaxias after seeing how effective they've been on my mates' rods. These are destined to become snapper food!

Greg,

I'm not talented enough to fish really light heads on lizards;) OK in very shallow water but once the depth increases a bit I'm never sure if I'm close enough to the bottom.

On a recent outing I was using 1/4 while my offsider was running 1/8oz. We were both getting plenty of lizards close to the bank in the shallows but after I kept getting hookups right under the boat in 4m of water he changed to a heavier head and joined in the fun. Scored 14 lizards in 2 hours on the Richmond River.

Archived