staying afloat in the chop

bulldogs195461

im trying to get myself into a kayak to go fishing,so when im land based i try to learn from my surrounds.today fishing ,as it was a sunday there was plenty of traffic on the coomera where i was,the chop from some bloody big boats was pretty big plus from jet skis and tinnys,i started imagining sitting in a yak on the coomera and then being washed onto the tower of terror at dreamworld,just in time news so i could wave to the wife n kids in a wish you were here moment

one thing i noticed was there was no yaks in the area all morning,so how do you guys avoid being washed ashore to join us lanbased fellas.

john

Kayaks are like corks, they just bob around on the waves. All you need to do is learn to swivel your hips and you'll be right.

Waves from boats are far less hassle in the yak than in a boat.

First few trips I panicked and nosed in to every wave more 5cm, these days I dont ever bother.

Nose into the waves unless you are kreel :whistle: .

..and if you are Kreel you'd point the nose of your boat into the wave.

On a serious note, big boats without any courtesy are too many and your luck is not always going to hold out. The answer is tie everything down that doesn't float. You should always have rod leashes and a leash for you paddle at the very least, also store what you don't need in the hull.

I speak from experience - Surfingant has told me first hand about how hard it is for him to keep himself on the dry side of a yak.

Archived