Bremer kayak bass session

T Fisher

I finally got the kayak in today and had a good couple of hours. First cast once launched from the new spot I got straight onto this one .

post-7578-144598855244_thumb.jpg

A couple of cast later and no more than 20m from the launch spot and up came another.

post-7578-144598855252_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598855259_thumb.jpg

It went just over 40cm.

After getting these two in quick succession I thought I was in for a great session . But I had to work hard and covered a fair bit more ground

before I got another one.

post-7578-144598855264_thumb.jpg

Then I got this little bloke before I headed back.

post-7578-144598855269_thumb.jpg

It was getting dark and I realised I had left my headlamp in the car so I decided to leave the surface lures to next time.

A question to those who use the rattling style bibless vibe lures for bass . Do you simply cast and retrieve or do you use a method like with plastics or metal vibes of cast let sink a couple of twiches or winds let sink and twich or wind again? Any advise would be appreciated as I want to try some different methods this season .

Well done some rivers are a bit slow starting at the moment. With the rattlers its a case of trial and error. If you know what depth the fish are holding at or you know what depth you are fishing it makes it easy. Otherwise first cast retrieve right away, next cast count down to 3, next 5, etc etc until you get an idea where the fish are sitting. If you have know sounder just let the first cast sink to the bottom and count it down to get an approx depth. Hope this helps.

Dino

I had a similar session yesterday mate, managed a few, but had to work pretty hard for them. I don't usually use lipless cranks, as it is pretty snaggy in the places I fish, however when I have used them, I generally use Dino's method to locate where they are in the water coloumn. (I believe it was even Dino who told me about it a while back :P)

Ryan.

Thanks for the advice Dino and Ryan. My spot is also fairly snaggy Ryan but there is a couple of deep holes that I want to try them out in . I have lost every one I have ever used landbased but hope sitting out in the yak might work better.

If that's the case mate, I'd go out and buy some of those kokoda lipless cranks. they still catch fish, and are a good $20 cheaper than jackals and the like lol. Also maybe a lure-retriever? If I find a deeper hole, I will usually throw a spinnerbait or a plastic at it, there are sometimes some pretty decent yellas holding in the deeper water, and I have had a fair bit of success with the plastics worked slowly across the bottom.

Ryan.

Ryan I have been buying up on some cheap ones from KMart. I made telescopic lure retriever with a wire pigs tail end on it last year and along with my tackleback I have got a lot of lures back since I got my yak.

Sari I was using 6lb fireline main and 10lb leader.

Ok awesome so you don't loose many bass from your line snapping??

Guys

At the top end its very snaggy, my advice is use the bassman spinnerbaits but downsize to the Carl Compacts, they are smaller. In the Wivy comp a slider grub did the damage for me so its my go to lure at the moment.

For me bass fishing is about the confidence that I am chucking the lures deep in the snags, if I am loosing lures my confidence goes down! So I have turned to weedless kooks and spinnerbaits. My bill for hardbodies was wracking up and plastics are way cheaper and seem to be working for me on these very shy shut down fish.

T, with the bibless vibes I usually let them sink all the way to the bottom, then give it a solid rip to clear any crap, then roll it back as close to the bottom as possible. This usually means letting it drop to the bottom (or close to) a few times before twitching it up again in order to keep it down there. I don't twitch them as much as I would a blade.

I like the 'Flatshads' by Sebile. They don't rattle as much as other bibless vibes, which can be good sometimes, and although they're more expensive than Kokodas, they're much cheaper than Jackals. I also very much like the Sebile 'Spinshads' which are sort of a cross between a bibless vibe and an inline spinner. These are quite snag resistant too.

With the snags, I've put single backward facing hooks on all my bibless vibes and blades (and others too). This helps to defeat a lot of snags, and gives me more confidence throwing them around the place.

-Steve.

Archived