Movember 2012 - Why I'm Doing It This Year

Rocket75

Over the years that I have been a member of AFO I've met heaps of great guys and girls.

As I count a lot of you as my friends I thought I would share this with you.

I have two things to confess.

1. Despite trying for my entire life, I am 37 years old and can not grow a decent moustache.

2. I am one of the 1 in 8 men who have experienced depression and anxiety.

I have not until now made this common knowledge, but if by joining Movember I can help promote the awareness of men's mental health, then my experience is something I should be honest about and share with my friends.

I have been lucky to have great support from my family and was encouraged to seek professional help.

This made all the difference in my battle and I would encourage any of my friends to do the same.

So if you would like to help raise funds and awareness for a great cause....and see me make a fool of myself by attempting to grow a moustache, please make a donation to Movember at my Mo Space.

/>http://mobro.co/rodvardy

Thanks

Rod

I think we will need before and after shots of that top lip :dry: :lol:

I know for sure you're not the only one who has had to cope with the dreaded depression. Apart from myself I know a few AFOers with the same/similar illness. No need to feel any shame about it. I'd be very surprised if we did a poll and didn't find a high percentage of sufferers at one time or another. I've lost some very close to me unfortunately. Congratulations for stepping out !

Thanks Brian, I'm not sure you will be able to tell the difference between the before and after shots unless I wear a different tshirt :)

I appreciate your support and generous donation to the cause.

Hopefully anyone who is struggling with Depression or Anxiety in silence will read this and know that they are not alone and get the help they need.

• 3 weeks later...

Good on you for doing that all of men have gone through depression including me, there's no shame, and I no it make it hard to make friends myself,I would love to do it myself but I would have to wear a face net a work and my wifes got very sensative skin.

Not much but I hope my little donation helps

Good on you for doing that all of men have gone through depression including me, there's no shame, and I no it make it hard to make friends myself,I would love to do it myself but I would have to wear a face net a work and my wifes got very sensative skin.

Not much but I hope my little donation helps

Thanks for your support Stevo, it's only when we start talking about these things honestly that we realize just how many others have had similar experiences. B)

How's the donations coming along Rocket ?

More importantly, how's the moustache doing ? Any visual updates for us ? Is it as big as Henry's ? (as per his avatar)

Hi Ellicat...my moustache is conspicuous by it's absence and any photographic evidence at this point is superfluous ... ie I got nothin :blush:

I will get an update posted when I figure out how to use the macro function on my camera :P

I'm lucky to have some generous friends and family and have raised over $100.00 so far ... thanks guys :cheer:

Excellent work Rocket, I have suffered from depression also and lost a couple of the most beautiful girls I have ever met due to depression.

I cheated and shaved my beard for the Chopper Read look. What can I do to help the cause.

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff, that people are talking about depression is a great start, that we are generating some donations to help diagnose and treat all kinds of mens health issues is even better. If you can spare a few dollars all donations are gratefully accepted on my Movember page.

Rod

• 3 weeks later...

Well we are now drawing towards the end of Movember and I'm absolutely blown away by the support I have received from family and friends (including my BFO comrades! :cheer: )

As I knew would happen, my moustache is less than impressive, but knowing that so many people appreciate my efforts and honesty is all that matters.

Here is a pic I took last night showing just how ordinary my Mo growing efforts is...

post-953-144598885113_thumb.jpg

Yes that's 26 days of growth there - less the gap in the middle that I shaved into my Mo whilst on auto pilot one morning in the shower ;(

Thanks again for your kind words and generous donations ;)

Archived