Malaysia Peacock Bass Fishing!

STU

rayke1938 wrote:

Awsome session mate do you normally have to travell so far.

Ray

we can get em smack in the middle of the city as well, but the sizes usually arent very encouraging, and due to the fishing pressure they're abit more wary, so i think travelling out of town in much more worthwhile, plus the scenery is beautiful too, coz the place where i fish is near one of the main mountain ranges. Nvm, this week when i'm done i'll be taking more pix, and I'll get some of the scenery as well.. breathtaking ;)

Ash wrote:

hey kiara,

how much would one of these charters cost?

Just incase im ever in the neighbourhood?:)

Oh, pretty much peanuts actually, coz this guiding/charter service is basically a Value Added Service for our customers, so we dont charge much on top of the cost of going there. Basically RM320 which includes breakkie, drinks, gas for the car and the outboard, ice and a nice dinner for 4 people. Approx AUD110? very very cheap. Anyone from AFO is welcome to come along and fish if they're in the neighbourhood :D.

Last sunday, i managed to skip work coz i had to bring a few customers out fishing :P.. hehe. brought them out to one of our secret honey holes in Ipoh, which is basically a state towards the north of Malaysia, 4hrs drive (including off road driving) from Kuala Lumpur, the capital city.

Peacock bass originally hail from South America, but can be found in only a few other places such as Malaysia and Singapore where they've been introduced. They're considered a threat to local ecosystems, and a pest as they wipe out local species due to their aggresive hunting nature, and the fact that they hunt in highly coordinated packs.

anyway, arrived rather late due to an overly long breakkie session, got the boat off the top of the car, unloaded it on top of the weeds and proceeded to load everything in it. As the floating weed beds had drifted in, blocking the way to open water, i had to push the boat through the weedbeds and floating water hyacinth beds till we reached open water. weather was rather fine, overcast with no wind. Alot of fish activity was apparent, with schools of peacock bass smashing baitfish everywhere.

we hit about 40+ peacock bass the whole day, not including the lost fish + missed strikes. Peacock bass are aggressive fish. after blowing up on a lure and missing it, they'll come back for a 2nd or 3rd go at it.

anyway, this'll just be a short write-up for now, but i hope you guys enjoy the pix.

here we go. this is what a peacock bass looks like. we normally go for em on topwaters. the strikes are explosive. this fish here was caught on a Storm ChugBug. 6lb Fireline connected to a 20lb Fireline bite leader + an Evergreen size 1 Crosslok [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/PB.jpg

haha, yours truly with the specimen in the prevoius picture. i apologise for the nakedness lol, getting in the water constantly to push the boat through weedbeds is rather wet work :P.

tackle used: GLoomis IMX 8-15 + Shimano Biomaster (Japan)+ 6lb Fireline [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/meAndPb.jpg

post-1023-144598425432_thumb.jpg

A nice specimen that hit a twitched minnow later in the evening. Normally in the afternoons, the fish will retreat below the thermocline till the temperature drops abit. This fish was very aggressive, chasing the lure all the way to the boat and smashing it right at boatside [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/BCPB2.jpg

post-1023-144598425443_thumb.jpg

viperon1982 wrote:

Hey Adrian!! Awesome man! Nice looking fish! They sure look aggressive! How lucky u are to have fishing as a job.. uni stinks..

hey bro, how's it going man. haha, not such an easy job as it looks man.. the long drives, loading and unloading the boat, engine, gear, etc etc. not to mention that the trip home took me 6hrs coz it rained after we left, and the roads got flooded. Then on the interstate, a bus broke down in the fast lane... etc etc.. haha.. sh!t happens eh :P...

man man.. nvm nvm.. i cant wait to get back to bris next year man!!!

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/08/22 09:21

Archived