Rod Repair - Step By Step

Mick

Well I am going to be repairing an old rod I have, now by taodays standard this rod is not really worht repairing, I could buy a better rod for a lot less than the cost of the repair but I have had this rod for about 25 years so it is very sentimental to me.

Its what I would call an allrounder .. 8ft fibreglass rod.

I will post some pictures tonight..

When i got back into fishing after moving up to Brisbane I got this rod out and head down to Brekkie Creek Wharf.. Firsst fissh I got on this rod was a river Sting Ray.. good size too (Terry Shark bait size), during the battle I heard this ping ping, then whack i got hit in the face with small bits of plastic.. turned out to be the guide inserts failing.

So for the repair I will be replacing all the guides and repairing / replacing the lower grip and butt cap.

I have measured the guides location on the rod (it's a two piece) see attached pics.

Can anybody recommend some guides.. I was just going to go to BCF tonight and get what ever match the size of each (yet to measure guide Dia and heights). [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/rod-34273d9efdc8f64f17c20b3f2bff7b7c.jpg

Post edited by: Mick, at: 2007/08/23 10:32

Post edited by: Mick, at: 2007/08/23 23:20

post-348-144598425739_thumb.jpg

From the pics above you can see the damaged guides

I have removed the old guides with a very sharp blade, taking extreme care not to damage the blank.

I went to BCF Ippy tonight and picked up my supplies... 4 guides and a tip guide some rod filler and some varish.. $35.00 in total...

good to see someone else doing some rod repairs/building, the only thing is that wilson rod varnish is a single part varnish and is a reel dog to use its thick and goopy and really sux, Id suggest getting some 2 part epoxy rod varnish its thinner and can be applied in thinner layers. its also easy to dry without a rod turner

Lee

Good to see someone else taking up the hobby.:)

Pcsolutionman is right on the money about the varnish it is thick as and needs to be applied very very thinly over several coats.

Somethings I have learnt the hard way.

Apply a small amount of superglue to guide's seat to hold it in place and before you glue on the guides also check the \"step up\" from the rod to the guides seat as sometime the seat tip needs to be filed flat to remove the step. Removing the step helps to keep the bindings nice and close together as you move from the rod surface up on to the seat.

If you are going to replace the but end grip you will need to remove the reel seat

sorry to say :(

But all is not bad news if you decide to do that look down the blank from the butt end you should see it curves slightly one way this is called the backbone.

when you refit the reel seat place it so

it sits on the rod with curve up for overhead reels and under for threadlines

For threadlines use this method to mark out guides

rodAFO.jpg

Fitting hyperlon grips is easy go to the toy and hobbie shop and buy a tin of aroplane dope they'll know ;) when ready to fit the grips brush the dope on from where the grip starts to get tight then slide the grip on fast till its home it will never come off ;)

hope all that helps sorry the pics a bit rough

Gaz

Post edited by: Gazza, at: 2007/08/24 14:12

Thanks for the advice guys.. I wont be replacing the Butt onlt the guides...

I had a play and found the Backbone ... easy to do by rolling the bent rod.. worked a treat.

I took the advise and bought some Classic Rod Coat2 part epoxy.
/>http://www.mindspring.com/~rodcoat/RP_PROD.HTML

Gazza being an avid aeromodler (over 20 planes) I have plenty of Dope... but I will leave that part alone.. character for the rod.. [img size=122]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/ColorAd.gif

post-348-144598425778_thumb.gif

For overheads

Firstly the amount of guides will depend on the blank length / action etc usually about 8 plus tip ;)

The method I was shown by a very good rod builder years ago was after the reel seat is fitted and secure place your chosen reel on that rod (custom rods are made to suit reels line class and fish) put the line through the guides in order stripper guide (which does not need to be any where as big as on a threadline or sidecast) and roughly place them on the blank (remember backbone up) it gets finiky here I use duct tape or strong rubber bands to hold the guides in place

Opps line up the tip with the centre of the reel seat and secure it before fitting reel my bad :pinch: hot melt glue or 5 min epoxy is good both come off with a lighter ;) if you kill a tip and need to replace it

sorry if this seems long winded but I keep remembering my old tricks

get your chosen reel have the line in the middle of the spool and use it as a straight line to the the tip move the tip till the line is dead centre to the blank let the tip set

Then go to the above :blush:

now load up the rod approx 90 deg I like abit more depends on the blank and move the guides till the line looks in an even curve without it touching the blank it should get close underfull load if it goes past the blank add a guide

just a rough guide but closer to a chinese made rod

sorry if I bored you pm me if you need help

Gaz

Archived