Advice on Boat Importers

Bi_polar

Just throwing it out there to see how many of you have enquired or Imported a boat from America.

The Minister for Finance has given the all clear for me to buy a boat and i am looking at one from the States.

I have done a few enquiries of my own but just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with any reputable importers. I am basically chasing a rough idea of the total import costs to work into my budget.

If anyone has any info i would be really appreciative.

Cheers Stuart

Thanks for that Dell,

I got some quotes back tonight for about 10k all up and i have a few contacts over there to look at it them for me in certain areas when i find the right one.

I am a boilermaker and have a workshop and can modify the trailer easily enough if needed.

Just have to get the ball rolling to work out how much i can spend.

cheers Stuart

I might know a thing or two that could save you a few bucks.....

If you just want it to be easy and the cost isn't an issue, pay somebody to do it. If you want to save some cash, send me a pm and I'll help you out. You'll pay about 1/2 as much as what a "reputable" importer will charge you.

Note: the quotations around reputable were not intended as a slight to anybody but as a way to denote that I am more than familiar with the industry and reputable is a very loose term when talking about freight forwarders.

I might know a thing or two that could save you a few bucks.....

If you just want it to be easy and the cost isn't an issue, pay somebody to do it. If you want to save some cash, send me a pm and I'll help you out. You'll pay about 1/2 as much as what a "reputable" importer will charge you.

Note: the quotations around reputable were not intended as a slight to anybody but as a way to denote that I am more than familiar with the industry and reputable is a very loose term when talking about freight forwarders.

PM sent

No Booty, they didn't... They might be busy.

Was waiting for Gary_c to call me too but can't get in contact with him after our initial phone call.

He would have been a big help with the Georgia end. Oh well he might be away or something like that.

I have more or less found the boat and it is at Daytona Beach, Florida and it's just a matter of finally agreeing on a price with the guy.

Sensational looking boat

Lots of good info on the net though.. i am looking at 300 bux for a full survey report including compression test and water test.

If you use a survey mob over there it's best to get a SAMS accredited company. I have found him too and is only 5 minutes from where the boat is.

After the seller and i agree on a price it's just a matter of him or someone else to deliver the boat to Savanna and getting it loaded.

Still waiting on prices back for sticking it in a container on it's side with the targa off but apparently it's a lot cheaper than roll on roll off.

Stu... once its all done and dusted, can you post up some info of Do's and Dont's, who you used if happy with them and a ball park figure for expenses apart from the initial purchase price.

I am about to start looking at a serious boat like the Tournament 2400 Club Sport and if it make financial sense then would look at importing something similar.

Hey booty, look at brands like Scout or Key West or Robalo.

They are at the top of the ladder above striper's

Stu,

Looks like a great offshore and bay boat, awesome fishing outfit with quality finishes as well. Have been watching this post with interest as I am looking at importing a Striper shortly, just interested in your comment regarding the three brands being of better quality to the striper. Have you heard anything negative about the stripers, I have only heard nothing but positives, any negative feed back would be helpful as generally owners of stripers wont bag them out. Also after your looking was wondering if you notice anything similar to a striper 2301, walk around half cabin 7.5m in the above mentioned brands.

Thanks Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I paid for unlimited Skype which was $15.00 and just started staying up late and ringing brokers and boat dealers.

A lot of them said there were so many Stripers coming to Australia, and when i asked them why they were dumafounded and said they didn't know and that there were other boats on the market thay were just that bit better quality.

This is in no way a bagging out of Stripers as they are a very well made boat too, but it's just what i was told by several independent brokers and dealers. They just said there were better brands of boats out there.

A lot of the extra quality sometimes comes down to the fit out and the quality of the fittings.

Thanks Stu,

I still have at least 12 months until I will be importing a boat as I am waiting until I move back down the hill. After hearing that info will broaden my search, the fit out of your boat is excellent so has me a bit excited looking for new brands. When you get it let us know if you need any marks or anything for offshore, looks like a great popping/GT boat :whistle:

Andrew

No worries Andrew,

I will probably be doing this again soon for my brother as he wants a similar boat to the one you want (Walkaround).

I am getting a list together for you of all the boats for you to look out for from what i have been told by all the dealers.

As far as Jigging goes, when she comes you are more than welcome to come out jigging.

Here are some other Robalo's around the size you are looking at.

/>http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-Robalo-26-101722654

/>http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-Robalo-265-Wa-101807642

/>http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-Robalo-R265-101828173

/>http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-Robalo-2640-101709008

cheers Stuart

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Well i hope you all had a great Christmas/New years eve.

I picked up my baby from the Port yesterday..... Very Impressed

There is a few things that need sorting like a new battery, and a C-Map card for the GPS/Sounder, but apart from that i am extremely happy with her.If anyone has an old card i would be happy to buy it.

I am just putting it out there to ask if and who you guys use for insurance as i will obviously need some once the cover note runs out.

Cheers Stu

Hi Andrew,

I haven't even taken any pictures yet... I know...slack isn't it.

I have to chuck a battery in it so i am going to go get one now and i need to a few other smaller little jobs but have already taken it for a run yesterday and was very impressed.

Pics coming

Archived