new bremer spot for bass

T Fisher

I was getting the itch to get out and find some bass today. So I decided to head to a different part of the river as my local spots have been slow latley. I started out with one spot in mind but on my way there I spotted a track going off down to the river a couple of kilometers short of my planned destination. I backed up and headed down the track. I was greeted by a fairly steep but cleared bank leading down to a new drainage channell some one has only recently put in place. Once at the waters edge it was going to be a fairly easy launch.As I was going to head upstream from the other spot anyway I decided to launch from here.

I started upstream but was met by a set of rapids and decided to go down stream tis time. I spent 4 hours on the water and landed 9 bass with the best going just over 42cm to the tip I also dropped another 4. They seemed to be hard against the bank apart from one little bloke I got out in the middle while trolling. I did eventually paddle all the way down to my intended launch spot where I pulled a couple of crankey fish in the mid 30's from close to the bank near some rapids that the tide was flowing in and over. I headed back only having a few casts I passed by a lot of good looking snags and overhangs on this trip that I will have to go back and try out next time. And I will have to head up stream over the rapids too as there is a lot of water to explore up there as well.

post-7578-144598874186_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598874198_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598874208_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598874218_thumb.jpg

this is the little bloke from on the troll

post-7578-144598874223_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598874233_thumb.jpg

The pair of cranky beggers.

post-7578-144598874241_thumb.jpg

I forgot this one actually came from the middle of the rapids. It seems strange seeing the water on the downstream side of rapids at a higher level and flowing down towards you on the upstream side.

post-7578-144598874249_thumb.jpg

This one had the whole lure down his throat.

it`s a pleasant surprise at times the species and the good condition of fish that are available in the Bremer, from Moores Pocket area up around the 2 local footy grounds and further up past Riverlink,areas always worth exploring if you have a that spare hour on the day. :)

• 3 months later...
I see you have discovered my new launch spot too! Very nice section of the river. I had been paddleing upstream of the drain (before the flood) and was having some of the best bass sessions I've ever had. Stupid flood.

Have you gone upstream since?

Jamie

No I haven't been back yet to try upstream hopefully when the flow of the river finally steadies up I will get a chance to.

Archived