Flushing Bags - how to use them?

Old Scaley

Hello fellow brain surgeons.

My son thoughtfully bought me one of those collapsable flushing bags for my birthday. Anyone used one of these? They have straps with velcro ends, and a couple of handles, but I can't work out whether you are supposed to use the straps to hold the thing up around the motor or what the hell to do with them. If you don't do anything with them the thing collapses once you get a bit of water in it. I did manage to get it to stay still for a bit and with the water over the intakes, there was no water coming out of the telltale. Once I put the muffs on, no problem.

I am sure it is simple, but so am I, so any advice welcome.

Mate, I have no idea about those bags, but in regards to the tell-tale, I know it sometimes takes a while for water to start coming through as the engine heats up.

To me it sounds like the valves hadn't opened up yet, which was why you didn't get any water coming through when your engine was in the bag.

scaley, just fill them up, the straps are used to hold it into collapsible position, better still shoot Mal a message and get a big plastic 44 gal drum, they are way better and more durable, save the collapsible one for when you travel, they damage easy, what size engine you flushing. I think the best thing about the bags or drum, over ears, is the amount of water you get through, and the water warms up dissolving salt better, and then syphon water onto a garden after.

The bag will collapse unless it has either a inflated collar or some straps to hold the sides up.

Strap it to the motor making sure that the base of the bag is on the ground as they will not hold much vertical weight and then fill with water to a level over your water intakes (normally a couple of inches over the cav plate it fine).

Run your motor varying the revs slightly using the fast idle level and not putting it in gear. Saw a guy do that once and it turned into a very brief whirpool before being cut the shreds by the prop.

If your impellor is not 100% then your water pressure may be reduced somewhat. A set of muffs or the motor running throught the water uses pressure to assist the impellor in circulating the water. Just drawing it up from standing water can sometimes be an effort for a worn impellor.

Hope it helps...

Archived