Fishing Old School v New School

Gad

Taken from a Fishing World email newsletter

By Sami Omari

THE rapid pace of technological advancement has undoubtedly transformed the fishing and boating landscape over the last three decades. While technology and innovation are the fundamental elements of economic and social progression, how do these changes that are continually spruiked on Facebook or reported by the fishing media reconcile with traditions of the past?

Do we need to preserve traditions of yesteryear or should we be moving with the times and not only embracing new technology and techniques, but discarding tried and trusted methods that may be dated or old fashioned?

I'm an avid fisher that loves technology and has an appreciation for innovative products that ultimately improve efficiency, success or safety. This eagerness for new ideas and novel technologies is tempered with the need for simplicity.

I've been known to scour the ocean using a touch screen sounder with digital broadband technology to locate potential kingfish aggregations only to turn off the cutting edge technology, drop a reef pick over the side and berley up predators before deploying live baits on handlines.

A bait bucket, 'glass rod and centrepin reel is the outfit of choice while chasing luderick off the rocks. Magazines that predate my existence show similar tackle and techniques used to chase these simple omnivores – whilst the outfit may be a little more cumbersome than a modern graphite rod coupled with a lightweight threadline, the old school tackle and techniques are still valid in the modern era.

Generation X benefits from traditional fishing methods passed down from their parents and the baby boomer generation. Gen Y on the other hand - the future of our wonderful pastime - seem somewhat detached from the tackle and techniques used by their grandparents. A young fisher these days has social media, the internet and a plethora of fishing forums to satisfy an enquiring mind. Gone are the days of reliance on dad or grandpa to pass on gems of information required for a successful day on the water.

I still love using techniques of yesteryear; a sidecast off the beach, a centrepin off the rocks, handlines out of the boat, chasing birds on the horizon that may or may not signal a school of blitzing fish on the surface – simple tackle and techniques that make you appreciate the advancement of technology and also help sharpen your skills as an angler.

Do we need to preserve tradition and should fishing magazines promote old school techniques or should the young guns tell the older generation to embrace change and throw away the cane rods and bakelite reels? Thoughts?

Archived