Bassin' in the USA

JarrydA

Im currently on a holiday in the states, whilst in Orlando Florida i decided to jump on a charter and hopefully catch my first american largemouth bass.

After a quick search on the internet i found my guide, a guy by the name of Chuck Pippin Jr. Chuck is a sponsored bass pro fisherman and has been guiding for over 20 years.

He picked me and the missus up from the hotel at around 6am and we set sail in the rig, (Toyota Tundra) with boat in tow (Skeeter FX20) and headed for our first stop, the Conway chain of lakes, we dropped the boat in and set sail, at 70MPH :woohoo: As its the middle of winter over here, we were looking for schools just like you would for our aussie bass. Unlucky for us, they just weren't schooling on these lakes on the day so chuck decided he would put the boat back on the trailer and head to a new chain of lakes.

The Butler chain of lakes is a chain of 13 Lakes and is home to one of the richest communities in the world. Florida has no state income tax so alot of the "better off" citizens come here to dodge some tax. These lakes are home to quite a few big names like, Tiger Woods (not anymore since the break up though), Shaquille O'neal, the Prime Minister of Bahrain and ken griffey jr. Its surrounded my massive mansions everywhere you look, which made the trip cool just looking at this stuff.

Shaq's House.

post-10420-144598893189_thumb.jpg

Anyway, to the fishing. We launched here and made our way to the first spot, and started out first drift, we were using Zoom Flukes unweighted on a worm hook and Spinnerbaits. I was using the plastic and it payed off!! First drift i felt an interesting weight on the line, which then took off like a bullet. Apparently this is a characteristic of the largemouth bass when fishing with plastics, they rarely hit it hard and more just "suck" the lure until you set the hook. After a nice little fight including some aerial displays i boated my first bass. :woohoo:

post-10420-144598893231_thumb.jpg

We then reset the drift again, and again i hooked a bass :) This one was smaller than the first but as i always say, a bass is a bass ;)

post-10420-144598893262_thumb.jpg

After this the wind picked up alot so we set sail to another more protected spot, this payed well and ended up being the spot we hit most of the day. Another couple came aboard here.

post-10420-144598893272_thumb.jpg

post-10420-144598893306_thumb.jpg

We then hit some grassy areas, more like areas i would fish at home, but we used a Texas Rigged worm. The rig looked nice but didnt pay off for me, but chuck landed one up here in the grass.

We then just moved back to the second location for the rest of the arvo.

post-10420-144598893283_thumb.jpg

post-10420-144598893312_thumb.jpg

Although the overall size of the fish was quite small considering the size that they get to, the quantity made it ok with 15 fish landed Me- 8 Chuck- 7 with my biggest at just over 2lbs.

Here is Chucks rig, 2012 Toyota Tundra, 2012 Skeeter FX20, Yamaha 250hp HO, Minn Kota Foretrex 101 lb thrust, full humminbird electrics. Here is the kicker. THE WHOLE BOAT IS FREE! He gets a new one every year as his sponsorships from skeeter, minn kota and yamaha. :woohoo:

post-10420-144598893295_thumb.jpg

Good to here you guys are having a great time. The charter would have been an awesome experience, did you pick up any hints/tips/different techniques that can be used on our Aus Bass? Very Jealous :blush:

Yeh den got a few little things I'm gonna try. They have some cool gear over here that's not at home, my bags are gonna be loaded on the way home for sure.

Muzz they go as hard as the Aussie bass with the added excitement of aerial displays! :)

Archived