Bullsharks in the brisbane river

brisbanebasedfishing

Pretty much anytime of the day you will get em. Try pick the real humid/hot days, and I seem to get the most around 10-11 in the morning, or late arvo. B) As for baits, if you dont already have a castnet then go out and grab one, so you can castnet mullet, bony bream etc, dont be afraid to put a big bait on, bigger the better. If castnet isnt an option, a live catty with its spines cut, will do the job also. Freshwater eel chunk is also a gun bait if you can get one. I rarely fish with a float, expecially this time of year in the river. Hope this gives you more of an idea and gets you started. :)

• 5 weeks later...

We've been doing a fair bit up the bris and pine over the last 18 months and found deep drop offs near very shallow water seems to fish well particularly the hour before and after low. Like Dan said with bait big is better, live mullet about 10-12 inch or eel chunks is usually our choice but big bream, catfish, etc will also work.

Good luck Mate, hope it helps.

i wouldnt go with bigger the better sharklady on this site got a decent size hammer 8-9ft on a piece of fresh water eel that was 3 inches long and we have caught a 4ft bully on a 15kg ray so it all varies and with time wise well summer is the best time of the year and am or pm well any time for your small bullies in the brisbane and logan ect they hunt in packs and follow the tide in and out so you might not get a hit for an hour or so then all of a sudden you will get 1 hit after another your best bet is just trial and error mix it up abit and test a few different things

cheers nick

agree with all of the above. i like to fish the tides with a large difference in the tide height e.g. low 0.20 to high of 1.8, 1.6m in tidal differance, however have found they will hunt activly during the slack period of the tide. i also use a paternoster rig to keep bait of the bottom avoiding things like catties and eels ect. i only use float on low tide (balloon usually) hope this helps ezy

I agree that bait doesn't have to be big to get them, the main reason for us to run the big is better theory is we've found it reduces a bit of by catch, pulled a couple of massive catfish on eel about 3-4 inches and a few large eels both freshwater and pike but found on the bigger baits they tend to be less interested.

Nothing worse than getting a double hookup in the yaks and thinking you've got a couple of good sharks only to find you've hit a school of rather large catties. Mind you the following exercise of trying to get them out of the net and unhooked without getting a spine in the leg can be quite amusing for the onlookers.

Like the others boys said but trial and error and you'll find what works for you.

Good luck.

post-10084-144598915645_thumb.jpg

post-10084-144598915652_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived