Late Hutchies report

TIM D

Bit of a late report because i was banned for a while :(

Headed to Hutchies on the 22nd with a mate and his son. We trolled around for about 6 hours using Rapala magnum 30's, a pakula skirted lure in lumo, metal hexajet lure in purple/black, halco trembler in black/gold. We were hoping for a Hoo but ended up getting 5 strikes from small blacks. One hooked up on my new trolling/live baiting combo with a green/gold magnum but the fight didnt last long as i only got a few winds on the fish and then it took to the air and threw the magnum out of it's mouth. They only seemed to hit the magnums we had out but wouldnt touch anything else. I've been doing a bit of reading and i read the skirts are better trolled in clean water out of the prop wash so we might have to try that next time. I can't wait to get back out there and try and land one, hopefully they stick around for a while yet.

No fish pic's but got a couple of shots of the bill marks on my magnum ;)

cheers tim :)

post-11417-144598897202_thumb.jpg

post-11417-144598897208_thumb.jpg

post-11417-1445988976_thumb.jpg

Have you heard of using single hooks on the trolling lures at all? The Marlin I hooked straightened the hooks (Laser Pro 160).

I've now got a 70lb decoy split ring, decoy solid ring and a River2Sea jigging assist hook looped over the solid ring.

I'm hoping that can take the mechanical advantage away from the fish!

Have you heard of using single hooks on the trolling lures at all? The Marlin I hooked straightened the hooks (Laser Pro 160).

I've now got a 70lb decoy split ring, decoy solid ring and a River2Sea jigging assist hook looped over the solid ring.

Yeah i wanted to swap the trebles out for decoy jigging singles but i left them at home so just had to stick with the standard vmc treble hooks :(

Like your idea with the assist hook, if you could wack a pic up of how it looks that would be awesome.

hey Tim - I have only been out the once with Lance but I am sure you are right with the Skirt being better in the Clear water. We had a good spread of lures skirts and xraps and a tremor but the only lures hit where the ones on the outriggers and the hardbodies underneath the wash. I reckon a set of outriggers would be a good investment if you plan on trolling in the future even for Hoo and Spanish. I am getting Lance to source me a set at the moment but I think I will be a bit over a grand out of pocket but it will be worth it. :P

Not sure how the assist hooks would stand up to the teeth on a hood though

hey Tim - I have only been out the once with Lance but I am sure you are right with the Skirt being better in the Clear water. We had a good spread of lures skirts and xraps and a tremor but the only lures hit where the ones on the outriggers and the hardbodies underneath the wash. I reckon a set of outriggers would be a good investment if you plan on trolling in the future even for Hoo and Spanish. I am getting Lance to source me a set at the moment but I think I will be a bit over a grand out of pocket but it will be worth it. :P

Yeah most of my mates are using those trolling tubes but we didn't have them in my mates boat on the day. In my opinion they work alright but outriggers are definately better as the trolling tubes don't get the lures running in the really clean water.

Damien anything with sharp teeth will make short work of assist cord. Sometimes you get lucky though and the teeth don't touch the assist cord. If you wanted to stick with that assist hook rigged on the Halco maybe put some heat shrink over the assist cord to try and prevent the bill from wearing through it.

I do have some decoy assists with wire on one of my Laser pros. It's got two hooks at staggered lenghts on it.

I might remove one of the hooks of it and put another split and solid ring, as this lure has been unloved after it's first swim with these hooks.

Hopefully on the big Stella I can drag a 'hoo in before he gets my chord!!

You dont need fancy lures for wahoo tim.

When they on they are on ;)

I know my favourite lure, time and place for hoo now :whistle:

Shane you know me, if a lure is expensive and looks the goods i'm buying it :lol:

Haha yeah

Get yourself a patriot baby pat in majiora.

Ita a killer for hoo.

I have lost 2 in past fewweeks. They have really good action to them

You dont need fancy lures for wahoo tim.

When they on they are on ;)

I know my favourite lure, time and place for hoo now :whistle:

Shane you know me, if a lure is expensive and looks the goods i'm buying it :lol:

Get yourself a patriot baby pat in majiora.

Might have to get one they do look pretty damned good, and at 65 grams the Egrell will cast it no problem.

Archived