My Wife's Bitter

angry_face

G'day boys,

What's better then catching half metre long Jacks? :unsure:

Doing it in your mates tinnie and winning a carton a beer for your effort, that's what! :cheer:

Went down to Coomera last night with my old mate Steve (max_pwr) on a dedicated Jack hunt. Decided to head up a quiet canal estate, one i have never fished yet Steve told me he had previously had success, to look for red critters under pontoons and in the rock shallows.

Slow start up until dark with just one Perch shy of 30cm, but I was hopeful if not entirely confident, as neither of us had jagged a Jack all season! :ohmy:

It was just on dark when the water started getting a little noisy as the mullet were having a play when we started getting some attention on the prawns. The first indication we had that Jacks or Cod were about was when something took 20cm or so of 6 kg braid from me on about 3/4 drag lock. I was getting excited! I then cast about 1 metre from the rocks, in no more then a foot of water, when I saw my line tighten. Then BANG!!

On near full lock my bait shot away from the rocks into deep water on 3 second runs away from the boat. Every run like this lately had been catfish but this was too powerful, and too much noise from the reel, but I was still getting used to my new 4000 Sedona was wasn"t too sure how fast it was pulling. Steve wrote it off as a catfish and so did I after it only did about 3 runs, then...the critter poked up his head, Bloody Jack! Stevo grabbed him with gaff, as we forgot the bloody net, and the brag mat, so my old rusty tape measure rated him at 49ish cm, 2 shy of my PB.

post-11406-144598909021_thumb.jpg

Steve then offered me congratulations with such colour that even a sailor would hide himself and blush :blush:

Now almost as important as the first Jack of the year is the little matter of the won carton. Steve and I have had a running bet since the start of the Jack season that the first bloke to catch a Jack in the others company wins a carton of the amber stuff, of his choice up to 60 bucks. No bloody pressure!

So now that the title of BEST AT EVERYTHING is mine for the keeping I was thinking "what beer would best capture Steve's emotional state at the time he realised I'm bloody awesome?"

Well, seeing as he was about as happy as my mother-in-law when the staff at Sunnybank Gardens told her the buffet was closing :angry: and she only had 30 minutes of inhalation time left,it seemed only one choice would do...

post-11406-144598909012_thumb.png

Cheers mate

Geoff

I gotta say it's true I called it for a cattie....it ran long and hard away from the rocks and I stomped on the leccy to chase it while I was on the phone to Bernie and when I saw the flash of red I didn't know whether to laugh or cry :( . Congrats to Geoff who once again showed me up using a large woolies green prawn somehow stuffed onto a 1/28thoz 2/0 tt jighead.

Bloody Geoff.

P.S. I'm accepting applications for a new fishing partner, please apply via P.M. People with both hands missing or severe physical impairment preferred.

onya geof.

bad luck steve the donut on jacks oh by the way steve best way to win a bet is to cheat :silly:

i was gunna ask steve to show us a few of his spots around coomera but looks like your the man to ask instead ;)

Lol. We just headed up the canals a bit further than where we fished with you guys the other night....... Gonna give it another crack tomorrow night too mate.

[quote name="max pwr" post=461098

Bloody Geoff.

P.S. I'm accepting applications for a new fishing partner' date=' please apply via P.M. People with both hands missing or severe physical impairment preferred.

bugger ..I nearly made the list,I just had the left hand stitched back on too, :pinch: ((seriously!!)

nice jack mate. that fella would have made a fine specimen for a game of jack roulete. :evil:

Archived