what would you buy ?

just been thinking lately about my way of thinking when buying lures and id like to know everybodies way of thinking when it comes to buying lures. Do you buy them because they look good and you think that'll work or do you put a bit more effort in and buy what may be relative to an area or a species of fish? just curious on your thoughts!

For me its also a confidence thing, so if I am purchasing sp's to target squire at Mud Island I will always get a few packs of Damiki Armour Shads in 3 and 5 inch size, if its Bream on hb's I'd go for something like the 21 Crackjack 44 or Damiki dc crank. Size and type is one thing but colour plays a huge part in my decision, I always go for more natural colours and I am not a big fan on full colour lures ie I like them clear but coloured if you know what I mean. So yes I put effort into what I spend my hard earned on and not just grab what looks flash.

I have a huge lure range in my tackle boxes. I make my own lures too. When I look at a lure when buying I go off past experience through trial and error, I found action is the key but more importantly how you use the lure to maximise its ultimate fish slaying action.

When I buy lures I don't look at halo graphics and how shinny a lure is I look at the terminal tackle used by the manufacturer to kit the lure out I also look at paint job quality.the eyes painted on the lures must be straight cause how can the lure swim straight if it has crooked eyes :blink: ,tilsans are renouned for having crooked eyes but if you find one with straight symmetrical eyes it will be lethal,it's a confidence thing like fishing nut said. For me If it got straight eyes it will work :lol:

I started with a bit of variety of lures but over time found that I have more confidence in a select few lure styles and colours. This is pretty much what I base future purchases on, the colours and styles that I know will work in my fishing areas.

I would use the squidgy wrigglers a lot but have recently found them to be very soft and not last many fish. Thankfully damiki released their Shrimp plastics which has similar action at a better price too.

Size, action, hardware and basic color (contrast effect) in relation to the target species & conditions.

Color wise, I stick to the basic rule of natural colors for bright clear conditions shading to darker more contrasting colors as conditions get duller and darker or reduced water clarity.

I wish I could say it's a confidence for me to but of late my confidence has taken a bit of a beating chasing our freshwater friends with very few making it on board, it's really becoming difficult to resist using bait.... I'm going through a trial and error stage at the moment trying to come up with ones that do work for me, but I'm not having a great deal of success. I am a believer in you get what you pay for and with regards to lures for me that means hook quality and action but who am i to talk I can't catch a fish to save myself of late, mmmmm maybe I need to buy more lures....

I wish I could say it's a confidence for me to but of late my confidence has taken a bit of a beating chasing our freshwater friends with very few making it on board, it's really becoming difficult to resist using bait.... I'm going through a trial and error stage at the moment trying to come up with ones that do work for me, but I'm not having a great deal of success. I am a believer in you get what you pay for and with regards to lures for me that means hook quality and action but who am i to talk I can't catch a fish to save myself of late, mmmmm maybe I need to buy more lures....

Next time you're at Kmart pick up a tsunami super bass in green and orange. Honestly my go-to lure at the moment above my more expensive ones! I think due to the murky water the bright ones are working well at the moment. Also while you're there pick up a green and pink outback minnow. Those colours have been working well lately. 11 bucks for 2 lures can't hurt!

Next time you're at Kmart pick up a tsunami super bass in green and orange. Honestly my go-to lure at the moment above my more expensive ones! I think due to the murky water the bright ones are working well at the moment. Also while you're there pick up a green and pink outback minnow. Those colours have been working well lately. 11 bucks for 2 lures can't hurt!

Why not, I'll give them a try, it can only help... Cheers Sam

Archived