Catch and release fishing

samsteele115

As a catch and release fisherman, I am always concerned for fish after I release it. I was told by a member on here that when handling a bass for example, to wet my hands and support the belly of the fish and if i need to put it on the ground, put it on a wet brag mat to protect the slime. I try to make sure I always do this these days, would hate to accidentally kill a fish through poor handling. I also crush barbs nowadays to make sure i get the fish back in the water as soon as possible and minimize damage.

Anything else i need to be doing to give the fish the best chance of survival?

Would hate to be handling fish the wrong way, and I'm sure this thread could help others who aren't completely sure either ;)

Thanks in advance guys,

Ive learned so much so far on this forum. Much appreciated.

Sam

Mate sounds like you are doing more than a lot of people. Support under the belly is the biggest thing, anything else like wetting the brag and all that is a positive bonus. I see so many fish pics where people are holding a fish vertical by the jaw without any body support and always cringe to think that the longevity of the fish would since be severely inhibited by displacing vertebrae.

Mate sounds like you are doing more than a lot of people. Support under the belly is the biggest thing, anything else like wetting the brag and all that is a positive bonus. I see so many fish pics where people are holding a fish vertical by the jaw without any body support and always cringe to think that the longevity of the fish would since be severely inhibited by displacing vertebrae.

Right. So its more supporting their spine/ribs or whatever? I didnt think of that. Dont know what i thought, maybe to prevent damaging their mouth or jaw or something haha.

Yeh the jaw can and is still definitely affected by holding them this way, dont get me wrong, but as they hang vertical, the weight of the fish can put tremendous strain on their vertebrae/spine and can dislocate or even break their backs. Its not a good look and does not do the fish any favours thats for sure.

Keep doing what you are doing Sam...if only everyone had your approach to caring about the way they handle fish, then our fish would be released far healthier and have a far greater chance of surviving, so that we, and our kids can catch them again

Thats it mate, thats the whole idea. I love being out with nature (not doing a bloody assignment like im doing now haha) and I always try and leave it the way i found it.

Just another question: I was fishing on a steep bank the other day and when i landed a bass i couldnt get down to water level to release it, so i kinda dropped him straight in.... probably not something i should have done? seemed to swim off straight away but ive learned my lesson not to fish on steep banks!!

Probably not the most ideal thing for them but at the end of the day it is probably the equivalent to our "Belly flop"...it stings for a bit but we get over it...Its not as bad for the fish as a complete lack of support when holding them up solely by their bottom jaw, thats for sure

You could find something wrong with the way everybody lands and releases fish. Bass are a bit more hardy than yellabelly. Bass up to 40cm can be thumb or lip gripped in the mouth and lifted into the boat or yak, as long as its a straight lift and not waving the fish about and the lip grips dont have any sharp edges. With lip grippers you dont want the fish wriggleing about or you will put a hole in the membrane under the bottom lip. If unsure use a net at all times.All bass over 40cm use net or comfort lift.

Yellabelly get exhausted very easy,especialy after a long fight on light rods and if so should be revived and released asap.

If your wanting to be as kind as possible, but still be catch and releasing fish, biggest thing is to make sure your not fishing to light, and that you get the fish in and released as soon as possible.

Roughest handling you can give a fish is nothing compared to exhausting it whilst playing it on light gear.

This thread is amusing :lol: Why don't some of you guys (the educated ones) all get together and front up to the likes of these bass fishing competitions IN PERSON and "EDUCATE" some of these competition fisherman ? Nearly every magazine that covers these events shows photographs of these guys with their arms crossed with a bass in each hand held by their bottom jaws out on angles, not straight up and down, out on angles !

If some of you had been around and done as much luring as you do sitting behind the keyboard passing judgment on those doing what you wish you were, then you would know that not every strike is an exact target hit in the mouth. I have had numerous fish over 40 years of luring, end up with a treble through the eye for instance or miss the lure all together and end up with it stuck in some other part of their body.

Let's not turn this into another mud slinging match, instead turn it into a positive education for everyone and make a start by fronting up to the comps and air your concerns for the fish and the way they are handled and depicted in articles, arms crossed, one in each hand suspended by the lower jaw, held on nearly horizontal angles.

Lets see one of you write an article and get it published in one of the magazines about correct methods of fish handling (and put your name to it) any volunteers ???

cheers

Mark

I have previously made representations to magazines about the photos that they publish and them promoting fishing in closed waters and fishing in closed season.

Some mags and websites will not publish photos unless the are presented correctly.

I am fairly easy going but excuses such as i did not know it was closed season,incorrectly presented fish and fishing in closed waters get my dander up.

If you think that the law needs altering write to the minister.

At least this thread is bringing out some good info.

Most of it is already available on the site but it never goes amiss to regurgitate it as a lot of people do not go through old threads.

Cheers

Ray,

PS Bass closed season starts 1st June so get into the creeks and non exempt dams now.

allready done that to fishing mags over the years and put my name to it there is much needed education on handling fresh water fish . out of the hundreds of trout i have cought 90% is taken home not releast. all the guideing i have done with trout fishing my only rules are wear gloves . you must be like myself and catch to eat or you would not be useing treble hooks . and i do agree with your statements about fronting up just not me im out of breath . happy fishing

sorry this was quote reply to md lures i hit the wrong icon

Archived