I am not sure if my balls are big enough.

tomartomau

I have standard 4lb balls for the downrigger. Clearly when I was trolling at 12kms the ball was not holding in suspension. I have emailed Scotty about the maximum weight and for that model it is 10lbs.

I have located somewhere to purchase a new one (not many people sell their balls second hand on ebay, but my question is would I get the traditional round weight with a fin or the fish shape type? Application is for trolling only, the 4lb seems fine for bottom bashing so far.

Cheers

Tony

Trolling at 12km hr seems all to quick for running a down rigger most guys I know that use them have their baits on the down rigger and you should only be in idle or just over, worth talking to some of the more experienced guys from a big tackle shop etc

Thanks guys, I am new to the downrigger thing as well. I was under the impression that 12kms/hr was about the right speed for trolling for Spanish Mackeral (upper end speed limit).

I have purchased a slightly heavier metal slug at 85gms, so I will see how I go, also reducing the speed would probably be a good idea, say to 7km/hr.

Thanks again, and yes my balls are black plastic coated..

If it spanish mackerel your targeting then definately slow down and use it for your baits have your metals ie' spoons etc on the surface just past idle is perfect for them, wahoo is what the guys race around with led head skirts for wahoo I always look at those guys and think of what their fuel bill will be at the end of the day. Live baits and rigged gar etc for the down rigger the pro fisherman use nothing else on them and their spoon on a surface rod

• 1 month later...

Get a 10lber. About $50 or cheaper on Evilbay. Regularly troll mine at up to 7knots so 13km/h. Mostly 6.5knots though. You will lose depth, not half as it does look like your wire or braid goes into the water at 45 degrees but the belly is mostly on the surface and if you looked at it in cross section it would look more like a Log graph, 45degrees at the top but pretty straight up and down near the bomb. I'll run it anywhere from 30-80' out the back doing that. Trolling at dead slow in gear for mackerel I'll run it 27-30' for spaniards and up to 50' if I want to get a bit deeper over the bait schools and that way I will pick up more schooly mackerel with the spaniards. At the moment I am in a big run of spotties and mostly getting them on the surface livies.

Thanks Smithy, I did purchase a 10lb bomb. I am in the process of changing over from the standard wire to braid. I had some good advice from the members on a local seller, but although I wanted it for tomorrow the price was too steep $150.00 for 500 yards. To be honest I only wanted 50-80 meters and decided that the initial price was too much.

I will use the wire for the time being, has a couple of kinks in it though and source some good quality reputable braid in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Archived