Which Lowrance Elite??

sari96

Just looking at some simple cheap fish finders and have come across these three Lowrance Fish Finders. The Elite 4x, 4x DSI and 4 DSI. Can anyone spot out the better one and spot out the differences, they all look the same to me but different color screens??

post-9139-144598943189_thumb.jpg

The difference is the DSI. DSI is awesome for viewing bottom structure which lets you find fish habitat, but is not so good at showing fish. The non DSI is better at showing fish but not as good on the structure.

I have an elite 5 DSI which I'm really happy with and I also have an older Lowrance sounder which is much better for finding fish.

I would have to disagree with Seiran- The DSI is awesome for showing fish. Especially good for differentiating between structure and fish, which on normal sonar can sometimes just show as one big mass. Also DSI will show a more accurate image of the size and amount of fish. So when sonar is showing a big mass or cloud of fish, the DSI will show you exactly what is there, to the extent that if you zoomed in you could probably count them all :lol:

In Elite models. "X" means sounder only. DSI stands for "Down Scan Imaging"

The 4X is a standard sonar sounder. 4X DSI is Down imaging. and the 4 DSI includes Down scan and GPS Chart plotter.

Hope this helps.

I would have to disagree with Seiran- The DSI is awesome for showing fish. Especially good for differentiating between structure and fish, which on normal sonar can sometimes just show as one big mass. Also DSI will show a more accurate image of the size and amount of fish. So when sonar is showing a big mass or cloud of fish, the DSI will show you exactly what is there, to the extent that if you zoomed in you could probably count them all :lol:

In Elite models. "X" means sounder only. DSI stands for "Down Scan Imaging"

The 4X is a standard sonar sounder. 4X DSI is Down imaging. and the 4 DSI includes Down scan and GPS Chart plotter.

Hope this helps.

Cheers heaps the 4 dsi looks the goods than, thanks heaps bloke!

Hey mate, I have one of each on my rig at the moment until I get the HDS 7 later in the year. I have the DSI on my side console dash and the colour 4x up front on my casting deck. I still find myself looking at the colour one while I am fishing up front but I am very impressed with the DSI unit. The structure looks awesome using it and the fish show up pretty well too. I found a new mark on Harries using it the other day and came up trumps on the snapper. Good units.

Hey mate, I have one of each on my rig at the moment until I get the HDS 7 later in the year. I have the DSI on my side console dash and the colour 4x up front on my casting deck. I still find myself looking at the colour one while I am fishing up front but I am very impressed with the DSI unit. The structure looks awesome using it and the fish show up pretty well too. I found a new mark on Harries using it the other day and came up trumps on the snapper. Good units.

Thanks for telling me that, sounds like an awesome piece. How is the GPS mapping? Is the plotting and recording drifts easy to use?

Hey sari96,

I haven't had much of a play with the GPS yet much but it all seems to work ok. I am yet to get a navionics card for it but it seems to be as good as any unit I have used in the past. I am used to Hummingbird stuff so I am still finding my way around a bit but I would say I am pretty happy with it so far. I am planning to get a HDS 7 touch later in the year, I got my 2 present ones from the qantas frequent flyer shop as I have heaps of points. I just wanted something to tie me over and these units have impressed me so far.

Cheers,

Bill

Archived