New 4wd...help please

yellahunter

Hey all,

Well after a couple of years outa the fishing/camping scene I'm

Finally In a position to get setup again. Pre divorse I had a 2011 x trail which was great for towing the tinny and getting all the gear around.

I'm tossing upbetween another x trail or a ute...perhaps a mitsi triton.

I'm looking to spend about 28k

Can anyone give me some tips on how the triton may compare to the xtrail?

Fuel wise etc..

Any advice or info is much appreciated

Ben

Nothing wrong with x-trails but I would go a triton. They are amazingly cheap at the moment. I have a few friends with them. One of them tows a 2.5 ton boat with them for long trips no problems at all. Fuel economy is great on the diesel and turning circle is by far the best of all dual cab utes. Pretty capable off road unlike the x-trail.

At the moment there is a deal for $32k on road with extra goodies like mags and side steps for the GLX dual cab. I reckon with some hard bargaining you could driveaway for $29k.

Mitsu also has great warranty with 5 years.

/>http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/shopping-tools/special-offers/triton-glx-4x4-double-cab

for the price you're looking at, there is the triton or navara. i'd be going for the triton. i've got an '07 GLS and can get under 9L/100 from the 3.2L on the highway if i sit around 90km/h and high 9's - low 10's @ 100km/h. the newer 2.5L is even better.

quite capable offroad , i've never got mine stuck on offroad, but have only been on the beach with it, definitely better than the xtrail as it has low range. not sure if the GLX has the super select gearbox, but i've heard they are pretty good and a nice step above your usual high/low range 4wd box.

mines got 95000 km on it and hasn't missed a beat.

Hey ben Good to see are turning around for you mate but I know people are going to hate this statment but the TRITON'S are cheep for a reason as davy said have a look at the colorado of the D-MAX if you can aford the extra. I have the D-MAX myself and LOVE it have a look around at the moment with all the dealers trying to find a sale you will get a bargin,if you can wait unil the camping show or the tinny and 4wd drive show as you should get a good price there.

Good luck mate.

Max if you decide to get a price on a Colorado let me know, my son is the IT manager for a Holden organisation, I was lucky I got a wholesale price for mine but he can give you a fair and honest price.

I looked for over a month at the Triton as I've had a Mitsubishi before and loved it but they the Isuzu and Colorado and Nissan are a step up. B)

Dassa, why do you think the Tritons are cr@p?

The Tritons are cheap at the moment because they were running out the 2012 stock to make room for the 2013 build.

They've kept that pricing because Isuzu and Holden released brand new updated models, which Mitsubishi isn't doing until 2014, and Nissan is still giving away the D22 Navaras for $26888 for ABN holders, GLX Triton @ $29990, after $2000 factory cash back)) so they had to keep the price down to compete with the other manufacturers.

The current model MN Triton has been in its present form, bar a couple of cosmetic upgrades since late 2009.

It has 3 tonne towing, 131kw, 400Nm @ 2000rpm, 350Nm @ 1500rpm from the 2.5L TD.

the Colorado has 3.5 tonne towing, 110kw and 350Nm @ 2000rpm of torque from the 2.8L TD.

D-max has 3 tonne towing, 130kw, 380Nm torque.

D22 Navara has 2.8 tonne towing, 98kw and 304Nm @ 2000rpm.

These are comparing the base models from each manufacturer.

Triton comes in @ the most powerful, most torque, right up there with towing, and 8.1L/100km fuel economy, most leg room in the back, doesn't have stupid electronic high/low range button like the Colorado/Dmax to break on you when the car decides to get electrical gremlins in it from banging around on rough track and water crossings.

It has Traction control, driver and passenger front and side airbags, side curtain airbags, ABS, Electronic brakeforce distribution, stability control. 5 year/130000km warrenty, 5 year roadside assist and 60000km capped price servicing.

there's even the option of factory rear locker

There isn't a dual cab out there that has great suspension from standard, mine is fine for what i do, but haven't driven one with upgraded suspension to compare it to.

I can Tow a 5.5m boat fully loaded no problems and the economy still sits around 11.5L/100km

All of the dual cabs are pretty good maybe except the great wall.

Is an amarok, colorado, dmax. ranger or bt50 better? Most probably.

The reason I suggested the triton is it has a well proven reliability record and can't be beaten on price. 5 year warranty doesn't hurt either.

None of the other options come close to the original posters $28k budget either.

That's why i suggested the Triton too.

Mine has been problem free and has gone wherever i point it no questions asked! I've seen videos of them in places people struggle to get to in their lifted cruiser's and patrols on 34's with lockers and the Triton had 2" lift, 32's, front locker and rear LSD.

Get a Triton, you won't be dissapointed

Thanks for all the tips guys, I went and had a look at the triton today in a yard and have pretty much made up my mind now. So....sounds like they are great on fuel and can handle pretty much all the offload scenarios.

So... Where to next?

Am I best to just go see Mitsubishi at moorooka and tell em the bottom line....

The base model dual cab should be fine shouldn't it?

Are their any extras worth getting straight up or just get the car then do everything outside the dealership

Thanks again everyone it's been a great help

Ben

So... Where to next?

Am I best to just go see Mitsubishi at moorooka and tell em the bottom line....

i would go in there with an idea of how much you are willing to pay. i wouldnt tell them that you are set on the triton, but just looking at dual cabs and haven't test driven the triton yet. Do the test drive (even if you have done one at another yard) ask the stupid questions like what does this button do etc. Hopefully the sales guy asks if you are willing to purchase one today. My answer would be no, unless i got an amazing price and then i would have to consider it. and then the haggling begins. Be prepared to walk out if the price isnt right.

I reckon the GLX+ deal for $32k before $2k rebate is the way to go. The GLXR doesn't seem to add lot of bang for a lot of extra bucks.

When negotiating car prices most of the time dealers will let cars go at wholesale prices because they still get a bonus payed from the importer based on the volume they sell and other BS charges like dealer delivery and way overpriced accessories.

As a starting point I never settle for anything more than at least 10% under the initial price they will offer you. On some cars 15% is achievable. If you don't have the time or patience to haggle hard go to a carbroker and they should be able to hook you up with a deal nearly as good but at the end of day they still have to make money of you for their comission.

Thanks again guys,

So I think I'll try for this glu deal with the $2000 cash back. I'd like to get black so I guess metallic paint will be extra.

Do you think it's realistic that I'd be able to walk out the car yard for 30k drive away..?? Bringing the total to 28k after the cash back

Cheers

Dassa, why do you think the Tritons are cr@p?

The Tritons are cheap at the moment because they were running out the 2012 stock to make room for the 2013 build.

They've kept that pricing because Isuzu and Holden released brand new updated models, which Mitsubishi isn't doing until 2014, and Nissan is still giving away the D22 Navaras for $26888 for ABN holders, GLX Triton @ $29990, after $2000 factory cash back)) so they had to keep the price down to compete with the other manufacturers.

The current model MN Triton has been in its present form, bar a couple of cosmetic upgrades since late 2009.

It has 3 tonne towing, 131kw, 400Nm @ 2000rpm, 350Nm @ 1500rpm from the 2.5L TD.

the Colorado has 3.5 tonne towing, 110kw and 350Nm @ 2000rpm of torque from the 2.8L TD.

D-max has 3 tonne towing, 130kw, 380Nm torque.

D22 Navara has 2.8 tonne towing, 98kw and 304Nm @ 2000rpm.

These are comparing the base models from each manufacturer.

Triton comes in @ the most powerful, most torque, right up there with towing, and 8.1L/100km fuel economy, most leg room in the back, doesn't have stupid electronic high/low range button like the Colorado/Dmax to break on you when the car decides to get electrical gremlins in it from banging around on rough track and water crossings.

It has Traction control, driver and passenger front and side airbags, side curtain airbags, ABS, Electronic brakeforce distribution, stability control. 5 year/130000km warrenty, 5 year roadside assist and 60000km capped price servicing.

there's even the option of factory rear locker

There isn't a dual cab out there that has great suspension from standard, mine is fine for what i do, but haven't driven one with upgraded suspension to compare it to.

I can Tow a 5.5m boat fully loaded no problems and the economy still sits around 11.5L/100km

ST :blush: Neal after reading that I wished I'd bought one :lol:

If you don't ask you won't get it. You have nothing to lose. Just tell them you are willing to pay $29k before cash back.

All they can say is no, then you just move on to the next dealer. They will probably call you back a few days later anyway.

Black is not metallic so no extra for premium paint.

If the dealer doesn't wan't to come to the party on $29k before cash back start haggling on getting them to thrown in tow bar, mats etc. for free or at a greatly reduced rate. They have a lot of mark up on these items.

I also bought the bottom of the line model, the chrome sports bars and covers and other bling were about 5 grand extra, I went on Ebay and bought a brand new sports bar and tonneau cover someone had replaces with a new hardcover I got them for $400.

Thanks for everything guys,

Can't wait to get this underway! I'll haggle my hardest and see how we go.

Couple more questions..

Where do u guys put ur rods when in the triton?

Do they fit in the car or would I have to whack em in the tray..

Oh...and another silly question.

Do the canopies people put on the tray come off or are they permanent?

I just thought sometimes I might need extra height ie: moving furniture etc

Cheers,

Ben

Couple more questions..

Cheers,

Ben

Most of the time you have to put the rods in the cab with you if they are 1 piece, i find the best place is up between the two front seats angling into the passenger foot well.

Most canopies can be removed but its not a 5 min job. A few bolts etc but also the wiring for tail lights can be an issue.

Couple more questions..

Cheers,

Ben

The 1 piece rods i used to keep in the front seat and sticking into the back seat until the Mrs got annoyed with that, so seeing as i have the rear windscreen on mine winds down, i moved them to the back seat and stuck them out the window.

Now i have a rod holder that you see people with on the bull bars, but mine is on the roof racks with a couple of rubber rod holders on the front roof rack to stop them bouncing around too much. i then put an occy strap onto the headboard, over the reels and back onto the headboard to hold them in place.

If i'm leaving my car unattended, i take the rods off the rack and put them in the cab while i'm out

Archived