Mooloolabah

Aaron H

Hi guys, thanks for the tips on the surf fishing fellas. Went up on Friday night booked in to the motel at Mooloolaba and was keen to rise early to fish the sunrise, that was until I discovered Zaccharys bar at the bottom of the motel, big mistake, too much amber fluid left me with a shocking hangover and forgot to set the alarm for the morning. Went to Kawana in the afternoon and to my surprise scored some big flathead in the surf one was 68cm the other 52 cm. First time I have ever caught flathead in the surf. Also scored two small Tailor and a nice flounder that was a welcome addition to the BBQ. The next morning went to the rockwall at the entrance of the Mooloolaba Harbour and had a great session catching some good tailor(3 all over 40 cm) some good bream and getting absolutely smashed under the rocks by numerous unkown beasties (Presumably Cod or Jacks very frustrating :angry: )

But all good fun all fish caught on Pilchards

Ash,

The rocks at the mouth of the Mooloolaba entrance fairly easy to get down just keep an eye on the waves.

Also saw the funniest sight, a bloke on a surf ski trolling a lure with paddle power, he had a pretty rough time of it when the boats decided to gun it away from the entrance

hehehe...are you sure that wasn't a guy in a maroon kayak with a maroon cap, and a little grey goaty beard?

If it was it was me! Didn't really have a rough time of it, didn't even get my shirt wet. Nothing compared to being in the surf. If it was me you saw, you would have heard the choice words I yelled to the dickhead in the boat. I was going a liitle wide to give you guys on the wall a bit of space, and was passing fairly close to a boat coming in at a slow pace. So the other idiot decided to come flying in at full bore between us jumping the wake of the other boat. What an inconsiderate jerk!

Ther were so many boats in the wtare that day, I'm surpised you caught anything....well anything that didn't have propeller marks across its back! hehe

I arrived there at dawn, and the boat trailer carpark was full and both sides of the road were full of cars with trailers nearly all the way back to Underwater world.

I saw heaps of big blue nosed gar in the river near the mouth, wish I'd had some di=ough and a float!

SFA!

Only used lures. Trolled out to the front of Point Arkwright, across and along Alex Headland...sorry, did get a few pike over there, but threw them back. Then back to the river mouth, up the river to past the highway, and back, and packed up.

Bought a nice piece of cod from the fish shop to stave off the hunger and drove home. Way too much boat traffic for my liking. Glad to hear you got something worthwhile. I've got a mate who trolls Maroochye River mouth and he's only been getting undersize choppers of late.

I've been doing heaps better in the bribie passage.

I had a lookat Caloundra on the way back, that was my original choice. I reckon the caloundra bar, and over to that reef off the headland will be my next venture up that way.

Archived