New Found-Land

Woggie

Sometimes taking the gamble to try a new location pays off. We all have our favourite honey-holes where we commonly catch good fish, but sometimes we may think to ourselves – Do I go the safe option and fish my regular haunt, knowing that it will most probably produce fish....or.... do we make the call to try a new spot? This new spot might be absolutely terrible or it may produce the mother-load but I guess it’s a case of ...no risk, no reward or you never know, if you never go. There are a million phrases that can be used here but they all have the same underlying message. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn’t but hey, that’s fishing!

Today my mate Dan and I made the call to try a new location and I must say that the 25 knot winds that greeted us upon arrival, did their best to hamper our efforts. We managed to find a sweet looking spot. There was a shallow “run†section of channel which dropped off a ledge into deeper water. If I were a fish, that’s where I would have been anyway, so it made sense to try this location. The outgoing tide was in our favour as the fish were laying on the deeper side of this dropoff and feeding on anything being funnelled to them by the receding tide.

Ended up with 4 flatty and 2 flounder

post-11689-144598962526_thumb.jpg

post-11689-144598962501_thumb.jpg

post-11689-14459896251_thumb.jpg

post-11689-144598962517_thumb.jpg

post-11689-144598962526_thumb.jpg

under

nice one woggie. It's always a gamble hitting up new spots and the worst part if getting there, thinking it's text book fishy, then catching nothing (or less than expected).

The conundrum is do you take the gamble to fish it again in hopes that you can crack the code, or do you skip the place and write it off?

Archived