Brisbane to Melbourne road trip

samsteele115

Been away with my girlfriend for the past 11 days on a roadtrip to Melbourne. It was great seeing parts of the country I havnt seen before and beats going overseas in my opinion.

Will keep the report as short as I can, but basically the order of the trip was as follows: Brisbane - Coonabarrabran - Tocumwal - Melbourne - Jindabyne - Canberra - Sydney - Port Macquarie - Brisbane (after dinner at Byron)

We conveniently had family scattered from Brisbane to Melbourne so we stayed at various relatives places throughout the trip and camped in coonabarrabran and tocumwal (right on the Murray river). The trip was pretty cheap because all we had to pay for was fuel and food!

It would have been rude not to take a fishing rod, so I got my nsw and vic permits and I was good to go!! So many great fishing spots along the way both fresh and salt and I wished I had a yak/boat to get out to the good snags on the Murray and other awesome looking cod rivers!

The missus was kind enough to stop at most fishy looking places so I had many 15-20 minute sessions along the way before hitting the road again. I wish I had more knowledge on the places to fish and what fish I should be targeting, but that was half the fun. I just chucked a blade most of the time to get some good distance from the shore.

Only got a few wrasse looking things on blades on a jetty off the great ocean road but wasnt really expecting to catch anything in the short sessions. All in all a great trip and would love to give the places I fished at another go for a longer period of time!

A few photos:

Quick flick on the Gwydir river (I think that's how it's spelt)

post-11925-144598969407_thumb.jpg

From the tent on the Murray. Tocumwal.

post-11925-14459896942_thumb.jpg

One of the many stops on the scenic great ocean road. Was some nice gutters and some salmon about apparently but no luck on slugs and blades

post-11925-144598969431_thumb.jpg

Twelve apostles

post-11925-144598969443_thumb.jpg

The wrasse things a bloke on the jetty called them 'Rockies' (id please?). Landed 3 and dropped something quite decent unfortunately. Was the best jetty I've seen. Great reefs and weed beds within casting distance. Bummed I didn't get anything decent.

post-11925-144598969452_thumb.jpg

Few more photos to come...

Lakes entrance. Looked so fishy

post-11925-144598969393_thumb.jpg

Trying my luck for trout on lake jindabyne. Gave up after half an hour because my hands were stinging. It was -1 at 7.30 in the morning after all haha.

post-11925-144598969383_thumb.jpg

Gave snowboarding a go

post-11925-144598969372_thumb.jpg

Lake Macquarie. So many bait bustups. Was just out of reach unfortunately, even after my wading effort in my undies

post-11925-144598969402_thumb.jpg

That,s an awesome trip Sam.

Shame you didn't find a Trout Cod at Toke,that is the best and easiest place to catch one as there is so many there these days.

Looks like you scored a nice day at Jindy as well,it doesn't look too cold and miserable for this time of the year so you were very lucky.

Same thing with the Gwydir, They reckon there is 1 cod per 8 meters of river there. Where on the Gwydir were you? Thats my old neck of the woods.

Yeah cheers for that Jarryd, made me feel heaps better about not catching a fish :P.

Parallel to the Newell highway coming into Moree. Stopped for ten minutes. The photo I uploaded is actually the Murray, I chose the wrong one :whistle: . It was the middle of the day and it looked so good for cod. I wish I bought some cod deep divers/spinnerbaits before the trip, regret that I didn't.

Archived