Yamba / Iluka

wombat3163

Hi all - have had my holidays squashed at work so me and the son will have to miss out on planned trip to do the 'Barra Trail'. So have ended up booking into a townhouse in Iluka for two weeks starting the Tuesday after the October 'Long Weekend' (NSW). From what I can find thru 'google' it seems there will be plenty of options available to chase a few fish - I'll be taking the 'good ship' Dilligaf , and the young bloke will also have the option of hitting the water on his 'yak. Just wondering if any members here might be able to pass on a bit of first hand knowledge as far as tips on what and where to go , what to avoid and the like. We'll also have 'She that must be obeyed' along with us so need to keep her occupied as well. Tight lines <')))>( Wombat3163

Mate I have not been there since I was younger but it was good fun then!

Heaps of land based flathead just walking the banks near the river mouth and bream and other misc species off the rocks and the headland in front of the pub.

I have heard the bass fishing upriver is insane as well.

Good luck!

Angus

• 1 month later...

Well ..... maybe we're heading to the wrong spot for a fortnites fishing, Have been watching the different posts on AFO for the last couple of months and there's been bugger all about the Clarence River area. Started my own thread here a it over a month ago for one reply - thanks Angus . Heading north in a weeks time and had hoped to have a bit of a heads up about the area as we haven't fished there before. Rest assured if we do have a bit of luck me and the young bloke will keep you guys/gals up to speed. We'll be fishing pretty hard while we're away. Going to do some land based stuff , as well as fishing from the 'good ship Dilligaf' and the young bloke is also taking along his yak. Will endeavour to keep the posts up to date with water temps and the like. Tight lines and cold beers what else is there. And who said I'm not an equal opportunity fisho' , fitted a 'Talon' wine glass holder to the boat yesterday so that 'she that must be obeyed' won't feel left out if she comes along for a fish.

post-11790-144598993103_thumb.jpg

Mate excuse my amazing graphic design skills but on the google map below the red line indicates the land based walk I did a few years ago which resulted in many flathead.

The Green cross indicates a bay that is riddled with weed bed at a good depth. I can only imagine drifting around here would have to result in some more good flatty fishing...

post-63-144598993162_thumb.jpg

Please do let us know how you go.

As someone who hopes to get down there before the year is over I would love to know how you go!

Angus

Holy Hell! Fishing Iluka/Yamba is faaaantastic!

As Angus has said the flattie fishing is top notch, I have spent many hours drifting down the rock wall pulling half a dozen flatties off it for a feed.

In the summer months big tuna have been caught off the mouth wall on the Iluka side and if you are a night time jew fisherman then the Iluka side wall is the go but be very carefull, I was nearly cleaned up off that wall trying to retrieve a big fat Jew by myself. Highly recommended to have a team of three people helping to gaff any large fish off the rocks there.

heading upstream there are a few secret Jew spots along the old wharf and bridges. On the Yamba side before you drive into Yamba there is a bridge that is a well know jew spot but its best to hit it very late at night because everyone knows about it.

If you head up into the very top of the Clarence bass are a certainty.

Inside the rock wall at Iluka on the high tide whiting are the go on yabbies.

I have been going down there for our holidays and the Iluka side hasn't changed much since the 70's.

Its a great spot.

I did some research on Yamba/Illuka a year or two ago cause we thought we would go there for a holiday but ended up at Noosa instead. From memory quite a few 'threads' talked about drifting along the 'middle wall' (?!?) on either side and flicking plastics right into the bases of the rocks and waking up the big flatties that nestle in amongst them.

I am in Ballina at the moment and the tailor seem reasonably thin although I got one this morning off the rocks (bl00dy big waves and swell ....) and saw plenty more right at the base of the rocks but couldn't get a bait in there without snagging. I am going over the river to Sth Ballina beach tonight cause I've heard there are some decent sized ones getting around so keep an eye on my thread as I'll do an update tomorrow with how I went. If I get them in the gutters there then they'd be worth a try down Yamba way.

Good luck!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well we've just got back from our sojourn to Iluka and though it was anything but an overwhelming success we had a great time. Fishing was very patchy ~ and not just for us ~ with the general opinion at the ramps and cleaning tables being that the water was too 'clean' . Water temp was sitting at about 21'c for our entire visit , we used plastics , hard bodies , blades , and fresh and live bait ~ all with little success other than a few school bream So as you can guess not much information to pass along.

Woops I forgot to let you know how I went ....... No luck when I fished the gutter south of the river and I was the only one fishing it (which obviously didn't bode well considering it was out the front of a van park, but I didn't have time to find another one and wasn't beach driving). Did have one big fish on but started with ganged pillies and mono leader and got bitten off. Had decided to do this until the fish turned up and then swap over to the metal trace and the rig Youngy recommnended with tuna slab. So don't know if it was a big tailor or a shark. Oh well.

Hey mate i know its a bit late but heres a pic i sourced off this site awhile ago before i went down to Yamba

post-10337-144599001165_thumb.jpg

Also heres a few posts fom a guy that has done a bit of land based fishing there (and a whole lot of other places) but as you can see theres heaps of land based options and it is a great area to go for a fish so dont let your last trip deter you!

/>http://landangler.net/2010/12/

Thanks for all the input guys. We had a heap of spots to try while we were up there , and covered a heap of water over the 10 days we were there , fished 'up river' as far as the Harwood Bridge , we tried the tides at different stages , different times of the day and night and the only 'keepers' we managed between us were when the young bloke dropped the yak in the water and got in amongst the mangroves. Hasn't dampened our enthusiasm though and we're already starting to think about another trip up there next year. Thanks again for your input. Tight lines <'))))>(

• 4 years later...
8 hours ago, SpaghettiSaratoga said:

Just wanting to know a few good flathead and black fish spots landbase in yamba nsw

Gday SpaghettiSaratoga. 

On 10/21/2013 at 12:07 PM, tavita86 said:

Hey mate i know its a bit late but heres a pic i sourced off this site awhile ago before i went down to Yamba

post-10337-144599001165_thumb.jpg

Also heres a few posts fom a guy that has done a bit of land based fishing there (and a whole lot of other places) but as you can see theres heaps of land based options and it is a great area to go for a fish so dont let your last trip deter you!

/>http://landangler.net/2010/12/

This map is awesome. I hope you get amongst them.

Have a great trip

Archived