Hervey Bay Sep Holidays...any help greatly appreciated!

rathabfishin2

Well after making my considerations, and balancing costs of camping vs renting, barge to Straddie or driving, and fishing totally unfamiliar ground I booked in today for a week at Hervey Bay.

My son is still yet to hook "a reel screamer" so I am hoping someone here could give me a few tips for fishing Hervey Bay area.

Costs of barge, new ground and remembering the fish I caught up there when I was 15 made my choice. Also I figure if the wind is up I have options in the surrounding rivers and creeks.

I know the Mackeral come on there in September and I know there are plenty of Trevs but have no knowledge of fishing there from a boat.

Not asking for any "secret spots" but any info that would help me get him (and myself of course ;) ) onto some good fish would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers Andrew

Depending on the range of your boat there are oodles of options.

Susan River for small queenies and the odd barra

The flats east of big woody hold plenty of Trevors

Pelican Banks on an ebb tide have all sorts of fish coming off them.

Pelagics from White Cliffs up to Platypus Bay.

Deeper fishing around the Fairway again for a mixed bag.

come to think of it, HB got bl#$dy everything....lucky bugger

Thats why I chose Hervey bay. In regard to range I have never measured kms as yet. I can take 47 litres, it's a new 40hp merc 2 stroke so if the conditions are good I have plenty of range but if I chops up, being a smaller boat (4.2), it will chew a bit if I am on and off the throttle.

Thats why I chose Hervey bay. In regard to range I have never measured kms as yet. I can take 47 litres, it's a new 40hp merc 2 stroke so if the conditions are good I have plenty of range but if I chops up, being a smaller boat (4.2), it will chew a bit if I am on and off the throttle.

Carry a couple of Jerry cans and you will be able to take on the whole bay in good conditions. Top end of platypus bay can hold some awesome pelagic action.

ahh where to start... what area are you staying and what sort of fishing are you into?

Staying at pialba. I will be geared up for light to medium soft plastics fishing and if the weather plays the game some trolling, live baiting and plastics fishing for bigger stuff. Still yet to nail a tuna and would love to get my son onto some reel screamers like tuna and macks.

On a reasonable day i would fish the markers heading out to the fairway marker from the harbour spin for mackeral and throw plastics for golden trevally or live bait.

Flasha spoons are the way to go and just drift and cast at the markers and let sink to the bottom the quick retrieve.

Once you get to the fairway marker anchor up pritty close(sand anchor)and cast away and put out livies if you can jig afew.

catch golden and grey trevally,school and spanish macheral,mac and longtail tuna just about anything at the fairway marker.

Throw plastics around the islands like bigg woody,tip of little woody and picnics for reefies and flathead ect..

The creeks on fraser island are good for flathead,bream,whiting,jacks and grunter also worth a look just watch the tide running out.

ill send you a pm

cheers scott

Thanks Scott. Pm sent. The Fairway marker keeps coming up in conversations so I will definately hit that spot up. I am still yet to catch any species of tuna so want to tick that one off, and keen to get my son onto some mackerel, tuna, trevally as he has never hooked a real battle and hopefully that may just hook him more onto the fishing than he is at the moment ;-)

As Nog said in an earlier post, if you are going to that part of the bay (White Cliffs and beyond) take plenty of spare fuel, especially with a 2 stroke 40 hp. Also watch the weather forecast really carefully. Anything north or northwest can really be uncomfortable, (even dangerous) in that area in a small boat and it is along haul home in those conditions. So give yourself plenty of time to get back. South easterly is ok because you can hug the island and you will only get wet crossing from Moon Point to Urangan. Used to be able to sit behind the barge if it got rough on that part of the trip, but it doesn't run anymore.

Great place to fish, though, so have a fantastic trip.

what dates are you going mate? I have got a heap of mates that still live in the bay that go out whenever the weather is good enough so they keep me upto date on when its worth going back home for the weekend..

If you are really chasing tuna i would head north of moon point toward arch cliffs and up towards roonies if the weather is good. If there is any wind with any west in it give up the island a miss and head down to the islands towards kingfisher bay..

cheers scott

what dates are you going mate? I have got a heap of mates that still live in the bay that go out whenever the weather is good enough so they keep me upto date on when its worth going back home for the weekend..

If you are really chasing tuna i would head north of moon point toward arch cliffs and up towards roonies if the weather is good. If there is any wind with any west in it give up the island a miss and head down to the islands towards kingfisher bay..

cheers scott

Cheers Scott. Not just chasing tuna but if the weather plays the game I would like to finally check that one off the list. I am going from the 24th Sep till the 1st Oct. I am going to write down all the info on weather I get from here and take it with me, keep on the forecasts and plan accordingly. What I like about the area it looks like no matter what the winds do I have plenty of options in rivers to hide if need be!

I got some blue salmon in the mary river on slugs last time i went up and the wind was howling out in the bay. also cast net some mullet and dropped a good thready next to the boat that ate one of the mullet. Should be about the right time for them starting to warm up a bit.

Cheers mate, a thready would be nice, and its a great option to hide if the weather does not play the game!

Would be nice to get my son onto a Mack just like your avatar if the weather works with me though ;)

If you want Tuna, I would start about a K or two offshore off White Cliffs (about 10klm up the Island,you'll know what I'm talking about when you see them) then make your way up the island from there.

Cheers mate. I take it you mean 10kms up from the southern end of the Island on the western side? It's a bucket list fish yet to tick of the list so that would be nice!

As Nog said in an earlier post, if you are going to that part of the bay (White Cliffs and beyond) take plenty of spare fuel, especially with a 2 stroke 40 hp. Also watch the weather forecast really carefully. Anything north or northwest can really be uncomfortable, (even dangerous) in that area in a small boat and it is along haul home in those conditions. So give yourself plenty of time to get back. South easterly is ok because you can hug the island and you will only get wet crossing from Moon Point to Urangan. Used to be able to sit behind the barge if it got rough on that part of the trip, but it doesn't run anymore.

Great place to fish, though, so have a fantastic trip.

Thanks mate. I will buy another 20L container. I didnt get the underfloor option when I bought the boat as I had a number to work with on price. That will bring me to 67L, two proper fuel tanks and jerries. The underfloor will happen soon but not before the trip. I will keep a close eye on the weather and write down info I have gathered from here prior to going. I am a cautious person, especially with my son aboard so wont take any undue risks, and just fish the southern end or rivers and creeks if need be.

A mate and I were up there a couple of weekends ago with the high hopes of chasing tuna. The forecast predicted 5 knt winds for most of the weekend so we were pumped. I took my 4.2 runabout which is pushed along by a 40hp 4 stroke with 65L on board.

What we didn't figure on was the winds turned to northerlies so even with these light winds platypus bay turned quite ugly and we couldn't even get to Arch Cliff it was so uncomfortable. We ended up traveling south and clocking up about about 90 Ks to fish the arti reef and the straits. All up we used about 30L so your 67L will help you cover a lot of distance but like everyone else has said, watch the forecasts and be prepared.

The day before we launched from Gatakers and hit the close in reefs and the fairway marker. There was heaps of bait around so that would be a good back up plan if the the bay doesn't play nice. Northerlies will still play havoc there but the reef is only a stone's throw from the ramp

Good luck and I look forward to your report.

Archived