bust offs any idea

bulldogs195461

i did,its when i tightened it,bang.though im not real skilled in adjusting it in these situations.but ill learn, i hope

Haven't really caught a fish big enough to comment lol, but maybe you could just let the fish run a bit more next time and keep the same drag setting? Sounds like the increase in pressure on the line caused it to snap when you tightened the drag.

Having the right drag setting is a pretty touchy thing as I'm discovering for myself. Anyway just my thoughts, I could be completely wrong.

Cheers

If your running a tight drag to stop something hitting the snags, soft hands is the secret, let the rod follow the fish at the start of a run, ie absorb the initial shocks by letting the rod drop a little.

If your not used to the drag on a reel, best bet is set it when you start fishing and try to leave it alone whilst playing a fish. Its so easy to overtighten when excited.

You might like to try the following to set yr drag....loosen it off, pull the line down towards the butt of yr rod, tightening the drag until you can keep a bend in the rod that very slowly starts to straighten up. I'm assuming yr using a spinning reel, next time you get a big hit, don't strike just keep yr rod tip up and angled AWAY from the fish so the rod is doing all the work. If you've set yr drag correctly, any additional pressure can be applied by "palming" the spool which is an easy fix to slowing a big hit and run fish.

Good luck and tight lines.

Archived