Hinze Dam Toga Comp 19th-20th Jan 2008

Angus

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Steve be providing live shrimp for boaters who bring own boat and staying overnight or do we have to bring our own ?

Graham and I will probably wish to get a couple of poppers off steve also.

Is there an up to date list of who is staying overnight so that we can check that we are included?

Be prepared for a bit of a walk at both ramps as parking is restricted especially at western ramp there is only room for 4 cars close to the ramp. We may have to organise a shuttle there.

Cheers

Ray

For boaters staying overnight you should get some from Steve. Let me confirm this.

Ash: I also have a couple of mates coming as ring ins. We are still going ahead even though its small. Its the first time so it would be good to see how it goes anyway. At least itll be easier to pick up a prize :)

Just had a horrible thought . What do I do if I am fortunate enough to catch a toga?

I certainly do not want to injure it and would wish to release as soon as possible.

Is a photo on a brag mat sufficient?

Do they keep in a live well or will they thrash about?

I have an 80 litre ice box that would serve as a live tank for a short time to take it to a weigh in point.

Cant really ring someone to witness as next g and cdma have lots of dead spots there.

Cheers

Ray

Being a Toga novice, I could do with some advice on tackle for the weekend.

I have the following choices:

4 pound fireline crystal on a 2-4 kg starlo stix.

8 pound fireline on 3-6kg Pflueger Trion

14 pound fireline on 3-6kg Pflueger Trion or 2-5kg Tempest Graphite.

6kg Low-stretch on 6-8 kg Silstar rod and Travertine Baitrunner.

Not wanting to take all of them :unsure: , and hedging my bets on chasing some bass/toga on shrimp also, which ones should make the short list.

I suppose I should let Kath have a rod and reel too :blush:

maybe I should take them all...or maybe I need another combo?:woohoo: :silly:

Ideas ?

Rocket

rayke1938 wrote:

Just had a horrible thought . What do I do if I am fortunate enough to catch a toga?

I certainly do not want to injure it and would wish to release as soon as possible.

Is a photo on a brag mat sufficient?

Do they keep in a live well or will they thrash about?

I have an 80 litre ice box that would serve as a live tank for a short time to take it to a weigh in point.

Cant really ring someone to witness as next g and cdma have lots of dead spots there.

Cheers

Ray

Ray are giving everyone rulers. But yes a photo on a brag mat would be perfect. We will also all have walky talkies, so if off some one does not have a camera they call for help!

At the end of the day this is all for fun. So im sure we can all make it work. :)

Angus

Rocket75 wrote:

Not wanting to take all of them :unsure: , and hedging my bets on chasing some bass/toga on shrimp also, which ones should make the short list.

Ideas ?

Rocket

I am no Toga Expert by anymeans (yet to catch one!!!).

But from everything i have seen and read these ones would be the go.

Also they seem to most often be caught on Spinner Baits and Poppers or other surface lures. Steve and the people he takes out has also had good success with unweighted shrimp.

Angus

Rocket75 wrote:

Ideas ?

Rocket

Yeap and Yeap

You always need another combo but if you feel you shouldn't just take em all and let Kath use one of Steve's.

You didn't mention how long the rods are rod. But

I would set up the the 4 lb with a 1/4 or 3/8 Green or Purple spinner bait

Stick a SX48 or similar on the 8 lb but keep the leader real light

14lb stick a medium to heavy spinner bait for trolling

and the 12lb 6-8kg use a deep diver (bigger then you think is right) you might get a MC.;)

Like I say buy a new combo for Kath

Brian D wrote:

Rocket75 wrote:......

[You didn't mention how long the rods are rod. But

I would set up the the 4 lb with a 1/4 or 3/8 Green or Purple spinner bait

Stick a SX48 or similar on the 8 lb but keep the leader real light

14lb stick a medium to heavy spinner bait for trolling

and the 12lb 6-8kg use a deep diver (bigger then you think is right) you might get a MC.;)

Like I say buy a new combo for Cath

Can't Kath have one of the old ones and I get the new one?:silly:

Thanks Brian...you certainly have form on your side at the moment, appreciate the advice. (You too Angus;)

Rocket

Just received an email from Steve that shrimp will be provided for overnight boaters.

Seabreeze forecast looking promising also.

If anyone wishes to come and make a threesome in my boat they are welcome. I think that there is plenty of room for any last minute extras. Be a bit cheaper than taking a spot in one of steves canoes. $ 130 versis $180.

Cheers

Ray

haha you forgot about me for the second event in a row Angus! Steve sent me an email today to double check I was still in because I wasn't on your list :D

Is 6pound leader light enough, or should I buy myself some lighter stuff? Looks like I'll be buying a few spinner baits, a popper or two, and some slider grubs. Anyone got recommendations for brands/colours ?

I saw you registered in Attend Events mate! Cheers! Sorry about that. Lots on the plate and a few events in the making so its hard going back over the whole threads sometimes. Hopefully that application will make it easier to assess numbers.

Angus

rayke1938 wrote:

Only 9 registered all you will have to do is catch a toga and you will have really good odds to win a top fly fishing outfit. Still time to register.Could be the late bird catches the fly ( rod)

Cheers

Ray

I have a mate coming as well Ray so i think there is ten. Either way we will have some fun :)

I will confirm which ramp we are meeting at in about 45mins. Cheers everyone who registerd. I reckon it will be a great weekend.

Angus

Ok guys the latest.

Targeting Toga Comp

All fishing competitors must be a club member of Brisbane Fishing Online. It is a great club and it's free to join. Visit www.australianfishing.com.au to register.

Comp fishing times

Midday Saturday to 6:00pm (earlier start possible, if desired)

Dawn Sunday to 11:30am...presentation to follow. Prize for longest toga...Yellowstone 8 weight fly rod, reel & quick sinking line.

Cabin accommodation at the Numinbah Valley Environmental Education Centre. You need to take pillow, sheets, blanket / sleeping bag. A bottom sheet for a single mattress is also recommended.

The group will meet at midday at the Mudgeeraba boat ramp. There have been some excellent toga caught in this region of late. Take exit 79 off the M1. Turn right and go across the overpass. Turn left at the round-a-bout (do not turn right and follow the Hinze Dam signage at this point). You will travel a few hundred metres down that road and then reach a point where you can only turn right...which is onto Springbrook Road. Follow Springbrook Road for 5 minutes...turn right onto Little Nerang Road...and then right onto Range Road. This will take you to the water's edge.

At the end of the day's fishing, the group will travel around to the campsite. You are quite welcome to bring some alcoholic refreshments.

Afternoon tea, Dinner, Breakfast and morning tea will be provided.

Cost $180 with boat hire...$130 using your own boat. Hinze Dam is an electric motor only fishery and outboards are not permitted to be attached to your boat.

Toga have been recently caught using 3" slider grubs, spinner baits, surface poppers and shallow diving lures. Fishing rods and lures are available on request.

Please indicate your attendance in this comp by 17 January 2008. Payment can be made on the day.

For further details contact Steve Wilkes 0403 154 510

No toga landed, Jimmybob hooked three hundred and twelve toga, but dropped every single one.

Stu/Plasticman caught all the bass in the morning, so there were only a few left for us. I got the most on saturday with 5, biggest was 38cm. Most people caught at least one, but there were hard work. Almost all of mine where in 20M of water on a fast troll. had a Boomarang, and a Mad Mullet, and a white G-Vibe that caught my fish, no hits at all on the spinnerbait. Unfortunately I lost the G-Vibe to a cranky Bass ( only 6 pound line ) he managed to snap it going spastic in the 'yak.

Today I caught absolutely nothing, tried every lure I have and nothing at all, others were luckier than me.

I'll post some pics later, and I'm sure the others will make a proper report. Afternoon nap time for me! :D

Archived