Drop Shotting Soft Plastics

Dan23

Hi all,

After talking to Kevin about all the success he has had with drop shotting NPD I was wondering if anyone else has had any success with this technique? I'm gonna try it at a reall deep but really snaggy spot at NPD on Wednesday. Last week I lost 40 bucks in slugs there so I'm keen to try a more snag proof way.

For those who don't know what drop shotting is watch this.

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPtTmaPrg_I

Yeah, I haven't seen much yet on technique. That's the main reason I started the thread to see if other people have tried it and have any advice. Also I'm wondering it it would work from bream or even bigger stuff in salt water. I think you basically jiggle your rod tip and try not to actually lift the sinker out of the water. Been googling it and that's what I've come up with. Seems like an awesome way to fish heavy cover.

Looks like a paternoster with a texas rigged plastic instead of bait, then standard jigging. Dunno how you'll go doing that from the bank, but it should snag less. Have you tried just texas rigging a soft plastic by itself? Exactly as he demonstrated without the sinker, with the tip of the hook just burried in the plastic. very hard to snag.

Feral wrote:

Exactly as he demonstrated without the sinker, with the tip of the hook just burried in the plastic. very hard to snag.

If you saw me last weekend you'd know I could snag a wet paper bag :unsure: I should try that though. I don't have any heavy jig heads appropriate for a texas rig at the moment but I'll get some soon. All my jig heads are 1/8 nitros and smaller. Not heavy enough for NPD. Need 1/2 or heavier I think

But yeah, I'm sussing out a good way to cut down on losing lures. Slugs are great because they cast so far but their heavy weight and treble hooks makes them so snag happy. If I have any luck getting my rigs back when I go to NPD Wednesday I'll report whether it worked or not. It seems to work well for Kevin but he has a lot more luck/skill than I do.

Archived