feed of sandies and a quick troll

rosco1974

post-3985-144599005077_thumb.jpg

took dad out for a crab trip this morning but the buggers where a bit hard to find..set the pots and after the first check we managed bugger all so we moved them around..an hr later and with 9 keepers in the bin I made the call to spread them through all my spots..with that done and nearly high tide we made a quick trip over to moreton for a quick troll..now a quick troll it was as my oldman hates trolling but he was keen to see the paravain's in action...I set the rods and within 40 seconds the first fish was hooked...another 3 minutes and the 2nd one was boated...we did 2 loops of my troll line for a snip off and spat hook and we called it quits...trolled total for 35 minutes of 2 fish for a feed tonite..pulled the pots out on the way home for 16 keepers..least now I know where the crabs are hiding again so will hit them next weekend..total 25 sandies and 2 macks boat on trailer by 10.30...great morning out

Hi Rosco

Can you give me some tips on trolling paravains? I just bought two of those ready-to-go set ups from BCF but am not too sure of how to use them.

What depth hole (those holes along the top of the paravain) do you have them set at and what speed do you run? I think I read in a post of yours that you use barra spoons right?

Also, do you stay close to the channel drop off when you run up the side of Moreton or are you staying in the channel or close to beacons etc?

thanks

Matt

Hi Rosco

Can you give me some tips on trolling paravains? I just bought two of those ready-to-go set ups from BCF but am not too sure of how to use them.

What depth hole (those holes along the top of the paravain) do you have them set at and what speed do you run? I think I read in a post of yours that you use barra spoons right?

Also, do you stay close to the channel drop off when you run up the side of Moreton or are you staying in the channel or close to beacons etc?

thanks

Matt

mate I have only used the cheap bcf paravains for about 5 minutes max..i use the yamashita trolling boards as these give better action and when u turn they don't break back out the water...I use barra spoons halco are ok but if you can find maccaspoons they out fish the halco's 4-1..i troll the edge of the sandbanks between 7 and 10mtrs...speed varies from trip to trip but I go between 4 and 5.5knts....normally go 4 knts when against tide flow...best tides are turn of tide or a slack running incoming tide

Hi Rosco

Just thought I should say thanks. I have been following some of the recent mackeral posts and tried out one of the yamashita paravanes on the way home yesterday on the east end of the rouse. The board never popped up, tight turns, different speeds and even when I hooked a spottie, it still stayed down (once I slowed it came up).

I believe some others had problems with these boards popping up, I used a clip on the line from the boat to the board and a crimped loop on the middle hole to the lure (with a good swivel in the middle of the 70lb to the lure). Both the connections to the board are "free swinging".

Again many thanks.

Duncan

Archived