Moreton bay tailor

tiotony

Hey all, been slack with posting as fishing has been rather dreary in Cairns for the last 6 months; I'm tipping because we had no wet season so the last 6 months its usually been only one or two fish per session. Anyhow thought I'd put a pic up of this moreton bay tailor I got off the beach this afternoon- note it looks very much like a blue salmon but has no filaments.

post-6937-144599011373_thumb.jpg

We also had a hot session on the beach Wednesday morning; no photos as Ben's camera battery was flat, but got probably around 50 fish- a mix of three-tooth jew, little jew, grunter, hammerhead and blacktip sharks, whiting and of course the dreaded catfish! The bait was really boiling at the mouth of a little creek and it was constant buckling rods, and there was also large sharks in plain sight cruising right on the shoreline; I just had to take a photo of Ben with my phone immediately after he got spooled by a large hammerhead- bahaha sucked in!

post-6937-144599011387_thumb.jpg

Note we get 4 species of jewfish in FNQ; Black jew, little jew (very much like a river perch), 3 tooth jew, and silver jew (which are very rare in Cairns but common in the gulf). The three tooth jew have a more rounded and elongated body than the other jew, as well as 3 very prominent teeth- hence the locals name of three tooth jew; they only seem to hit the beach on rare occasions but when they do they are thick- we were getting them one after another on Wednesday. I'll try and get another 3 tooth jew next week and put up a pic.

Cheers

That's a decent taylor for landbased in Moreton Bay. What area ?

Beach session sounds a hoot ! Good to see you got a good fix.

Ellicat I believe you are trying to pull the pi##, I do realise you are quite knowledgeable about fish species and you've actually clarified ID's on FNQ fish for me before, which I was very grateful for. I am quoting an ID from an OLD Grants Guide to Fishes (which listed a colloquial name as "Moreton Bay Tailor") where I have looked up this species before as I have caught them in Far North QLD and NT waters, on occasion next to blue salmon where the differences were obvious ie: no filaments. Like a lot of anglers I am interested in less-than-common species and thought other anglers would be interested too and hence I put up a pic.

Ellicat I believe you are trying to pull the pi##, I do realise you are quite knowledgeable about fish species and you've actually clarified ID's on FNQ fish for me before, which I was very grateful for. I am quoting an ID from an OLD Grants Guide to Fishes (which listed a colloquial name as "Moreton Bay Tailor") where I have looked up this species before as I have caught them in Far North QLD and NT waters, on occasion next to blue salmon where the differences were obvious ie: no filaments. Like a lot of anglers I am interested in less-than-common species and thought other anglers would be interested too and hence I put up a pic.

No. Quite the opposite. I looked at the fish length moreso than the fish, and just assumed it was a taylor you caught down here recently. I see now that it's not a taylor (now you made me look closer lol). I don't go on FNQ fishing, so you're thinking of someone else. If ever I take the mickey out of you it would certainly be in jest. :)

No. Quite the opposite. I looked at the fish length moreso than the fish, and just assumed it was a taylor you caught down here recently. I see now that it's not a taylor (now you made me look closer lol). I don't go on FNQ fishing, so you're thinking of someone else. If ever I take the mickey out of you it would certainly be in jest. :)

No worries Ellicat, having come from southern QLD originally (20 years ago), I would have been OVER THE MOON with a 60+ tailor landbased!

No worries Ellicat, having come from southern QLD originally (20 years ago), I would have been OVER THE MOON with a 60+ tailor landbased!

:lol: does that make the Aussies` 3- nil today :P

Archived