Abu Garcia Cardinal 446 Review?

boon

Hey guys. Anyone used the cardinal 446 ot 400 series reels before? Saw them at Big W for $40 and seem pretty good but I wanted some reviews before i bought one. The 446 can take 12-16 lbs i think and has 4 ball bearings and comes with a spare graphite spool. The other is a allu. Thanks

I think i have one lying around. I bought it probly 2years ago and been used once. Its smooth enough and quite good. They are alrite and if you go to Big W Taigum you can get 4lb fireline for $7. Put your 8lb on as backing then put the braid on top. 4lb braid is atleast 10-12lb Mono so is plenty for most estuary.

Just picked up the 4lb fireline. So how much mono should I put underneath? Also how do I connect the mono to the fireline? THanks guys

Correction. My partner went to get the fireline for me but it scanned at $24.95 :angry: Guess no braid for me til next year

Two of my mates have abu reels and they're absolutely stellar. I missed the amart sale last month so the 446 was the best I could afford and they look as good too. Only thing I can't get any info on them on the website or the forum. Probably really old models. I mainly wanna find out if they are fine for saltwater fishing

Yes Well im 98% sure. Almost everything apart from some Top End Shimano and Daiwa would come from asia. Their is other brands like penn and heaps of others that have some from asia and some from other countries.

Abu, Surecatch, Jarvis Walker, Low End Shimano is all pretty much asian.

Fisher_90 wrote:

Yes Well im 98% sure. Almost everything apart from some Top End Shimano and Daiwa would come from asia. Their is other brands like penn and heaps of others that have some from asia and some from other countries.

Sorry to get you on a technicality Fisher (occupational hazard), but Japan is part of Asia:P Know what you mean though;)

ellicat wrote:

Fisher_90 wrote:

Sorry to get you on a technicality Fisher (occupational hazard), but Japan is part of Asia:P Know what you mean though;)

As is Australia (or was when I went to school!)

Rocket75 wrote:

Hi Boon. Any time mate, glad you found a reel that you liked...good luck on the weekend, hope you get onto some \"new\" species. My fingers a crossed for you.

Rocket

I'm pretty sure I'll get some fish. Really don't care what I catch as long as I get some action. I'm also going for the boat ride as I haven't been on a boat in brissie before. Will be nice to cruise around and troll with my new hard bodies :P

correct me if im wrong but the \"asian \" reels your talking about are the low end models not cheaply made they just dont have a hand full of bearings in each to smooth them out they arent made from a piece of stock alluminium and machined out they dont have the top end drag washers that the expensive reels do and im damn sure that an \"asian\" can work an injection moldings machine the same as any other bozoo if you want flash buy it if you want cheap then buy it all ican say is shimano has a 10 warranty any one else have that and im pretty bloody sure they are asian ps i love asian food and im yet to see a white man get that right.:woohoo:

boon wrote:

Just picked up the 4lb fireline. So how much mono should I put underneath? Also how do I connect the mono to the fireline? THanks guys

Correction. My partner went to get the fireline for me but it scanned at $24.95 :angry: Guess no braid for me til next year

Putting on the right ammount of backing is essential. Easiest way is to try and track down a spare spool (some reels come with them) and put the line on in reverse. By this i mean, load up all the braid on the spare spool and then top up with mono. Then wind that line onto your primary spool and you will have a perfect result.

Angus

P.S. Sorry cant review the Abu. I know nothing about them.

Used the abu this morning at newstead and it was fine. Think I put a little too much line on it so it kept coming off before casting. Otherwise, my 400 series is pretty close to the 600 series reel. Of course I've felt better ones at the shop but it's good enough for a beginner like me :)

Archived