Brisbane River Bass 26/03/2014

cboy69

After our trip on Sunday we were keen to have another go at hitting the Bass on lures.

My goal was to catch fish on as many of my surface lures as possible. My friend was hoping to get something even bigger to taxidermy than 52cm

Despite the terrible weather we got to the river and it wasn't raining as we feared, the ground was muddy from the overnight rain but we were simply happy to stay dry.

immediately we got onto some bass and even 2 catfish on the surface. for the rest of the morning we sight casted at swirls and surface hits.

I figured with each fish I would try to keep upsizing the lure to see if big lures = big fish. I worked through walk the dog and popper from 45 up to 65mm. Eventually I lost a Sammy65 to what felt like the biggest Bass for the day. So the theory seems to be working

Just for giggles I thought I would try to see if there is an upper limit to what a bass will take so I put on a Halco Rooster 85mm and after a few casts I got this one. Not a massive fish but interesting that he was able to take such a large lure.

post-6445-144599039415_thumb.jpg

Here's the Halco Rooster with a River 2 Sea bubble pop45 for comparison.

post-6445-144599039425_thumb.jpg

The total was probably 15-20 fish with 3 fish at 52cm and one at 55cm :woohoo: This fish was slightly rough with very minor damage to the dorsal fin and tail, he was destined to be surface mounted.

I didn't take pics beside my Bass with the Halco Rooster, however my friend has some which I might be able to put up later once I get the pics.

I guess we will keep trying when we can with the hope of cracking the magical 60cm :silly:

good stuff mate, i have seen bass take a lure up to 120mm so they are definitely not afraid to have a crack at the bigger presentations. i must say i'm pretty envious that you haven't fished for bass for long and you are getting fish at 50+cm, ive been tragetting them for 5 years or so now and still yet to get a 50 :( persistence will pay off one day!

Cheers, Glenn.

test.

I have tried to upload the pics 3 times now (about 27mb in total) and after submitting it eventually returns to the forum page. And that's it, my post goes missing.

Hopefully this test message works to help me work out what's going on.

good stuff mate, i have seen bass take a lure up to 120mm so they are definitely not afraid to have a crack at the bigger presentations. i must say i'm pretty envious that you haven't fished for bass for long and you are getting fish at 50+cm, ive been tragetting them for 5 years or so now and still yet to get a 50 :( persistence will pay off one day!

Cheers, Glenn.

I'm hearing you Glenn, I've been targeting Bass for about the same amount of time as you, it took me about 4yrs to crack the 50cm, and I've still only done it 3 times. I don't fish typical big Bass water that often. If you do want to catch a big Bass around this area in my opinion stick to the Bris River and Nth Pine Dam. If you keep throwing your line in those waters it's just a matter of time and persistence before you hook a 50+. And I guess Somerset and Wivenhoe if you're confident of being able to find the fish.

-Steve.

Awesome results, well done. Did you get all these walking the bank up the top of the Brissy R?

-Steve.

We actually stood in the same spot. They were actively feeding in the same spot for a few hours.

I even took along a Daiwa seajigger 315 for our second trip. It's designed for light lures in the surf, however at 10 foot it allowed me to cast into snags on the other side of the river :woohoo:

Archived