help targeting sharks

14000FB

Hi all,

In late August i will be on north straddie doing some beach fishing and id like to target the biggest fish i can land while there, so that usually means sharks. Ive got a bare rod/reel combo and im looking for help on what to put on the reel first up. Its a 13ft - 14ft 2 piece surf rod and a Shimano 14000FB reel. Ive only ever fished with braid in the past but ive been told that mono is best for this sort of thing, is this true? What size line would i use ideally? Ive been looking at these pre-made shark rigs, are they any good?

/>http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server5500/55834/products/1853/images/2366/shogun_shark_trace__38030__19475.1344921021.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

They dont appear to have anything on the end, can they be bought anywhere with a swivel etc so i can just clip them on and go? or not this simple?

Has anyone else chased sharks(or any large fish will do me) off the beach at north straddie around late august? Whens the best time to be out there? Does it matter if i float the bait or sink it? Does it depend on the species im after?

You will definitely be able to get on to some sharks mate, no doubt about that.

Shark fishing isn't as simple as some people may think. Sharks range in size A LOT from little 3 foot guys to monster 12 hammers that will test the biggest gear. It really depends on what size you want to target and what gear you have.

There is a heap of information on this site as well as other pure land based shark fishing websites. I suggest that you start reading.

It really depends on what size you want to target and what gear you have

Well im just targeting anything over a meter. What ever species is the most common to catch in that area.

There are some very good how to YouTube videos re shark fishing. Specifically for Moreton bay and beach. Well worth a look. The Madmullet videos are excellent.

Wayne.

Yeah ive been watching alot of youtube videos and they all say something different. Some fish at night, some say day. Or they are targeting a specific type of shark. Whereas im not really bothered about what i catch, just want something bigger than the bream and bait fish ive got bored with......

Also they all make their own rigs, which im not too keen on. Mine have been known to fail and lose the fish in the past, id rather someone say "heres a great pre-made rig. Put it on and go".

Gday mate

Give me a call. I should be able to help you out. We produce all the madmullet videos and can point you in the rite direction of traces locations, night day ect. We even make custom shark traces to suit your needs at very reasonable prices

Cheers kurt

Team madmullet fishing adventures

• 2 weeks later...

Archived