first time@shultzy

kevinchen19870316

managed to have a day out with dan23 to shultzy canal on sunday.

i got some ecogear $5 sps and dan finally, finally got his 1st sx40:laugh: so the trip turned out to a test of my new sps.

second cast and i got a bite, no hook up, then a 45cm flattie indicated that we'll have a good time at the nice spot.

as the tide's running out quickly, the fish seemed to be quite active, i nearly got a bite with every cast, but no hook ups...the same time kept happen for a whole afternoon and i only managed 5 flattie with 3 of them over 45, 20-25 nice hits missed!

maybe i will give HB a go next time, wish that helps.

thanks dan for the pick up, i had a good time fishing W/u at the canal, u?:laugh:

I wasted too much time screwing around with small HB trying to catch bream. I think the tide was all wrong for it. Didn't have the confidence to throw my Sx40 out! Never came out of the packet. Maybe when I get to know the snags and stuff there. It's a great spot so close to home. Next time I'll spend more time targeting flathead. I did get a fun fight on a decent ray btw and a catfish. Oh and a Mini Marlin with some awesome top water action hey Kev?? :P

I'll see how I go with my sx40. If it produces then I'll consider an sx60. just knowing the sort of luck I have I'll lose it 1st cast.

I'm looking into a new spinning setup. I need a softer tipped rod. You saw how hard it was hooking those bream. I was snapping off hooks on 4lp line. Need a rod with a bit more play in it.

Dad has been cleaning up with his 1-3kg Drop shot and shimano reel. He got a bream on a HB today and 5 flatties from the kayak. So jealous! Down there is so good when its good. Especially with bait. There's not setting hooks, you put a big hook on with a heavy leader and chuck a strip of mullet out. Wait 15mins come back and check line and about 1 in 3 times you'll have a fish. Especially at night time. Problem is the massive eels that make you think you have something good on and it turns out to be a 1-2m eel.

Archived