Caboolture River Report Catch up 27/09 & 3/10

STKE

Howdy!

Quick Caboolture river reports

Previous Weekend (27th)

Headed out early with the missus (as much as she hates pre dawn starts) dug worms and yabbies

Isn't digging worms a glorious thing

post-10385-144599075081_thumb.jpeg

post-10385-144599075086_thumb.jpeg

Fishing was a bit tough as the wind was up, plenty of just undersized bream, and sandcrabs pulling bait off the line

Biggest keeper was 29cms

post-10385-144599075088_thumb.jpg

Only ended up with 2 keeper bream and one sandcrab, so they got gutted and frozen for another day

3/10

Took Friday off for an extra long weekend

Pick up the future father in law about 9 for a 10am low tide

Dug worms and pumped yabbies for bait again.

Fishing was tough again, time of day didn't help and the wind was up 15knots as well

We took 4 pots out to see if any thing was happening (Which it was, so I regret not taking another 4)

We ended up with 15/15 keeper sand crabs with only 4 pots and a couple moves to try and stay on top

So elbow slapper whiting came on the bit two and we quickly had 6 keepers with plenty of throw backs. Couple bream too.

Ended up finishing around 5, so long hot day out. But it was worth taking the day off as there was minimal traffic on the water.

Next few weekends are booked up so getting out to chase down those sand crabs might be hard, but early November is the start of mud crabbing so i'll aim for that

post-10385-144599075093_thumb.jpg

post-10385-144599075096_thumb.jpg

Till next time

Ahhhh my Young Apprentice

You want to know the fine graceful art of worming.

Typically there are no signs of where the worms are located. It has more to do about the mud

Best time to work is at dead low tide so you have more access to the shore line. You want to be in that kind of mud that you'll sink knee deep to.

We tend to find the best spots are out the front of those little very tiny run out creeks. (not the one's you can take a boat up)

There's no real art to it, it's a matter of start digging. The signs of life you're looking for are the small wrigglers. They will be in the top layer and the bigger guys will be bellow them. It's a matter of going elbow deep and pulling the mud in towards you. That creates a gap for which, if you see a big guy you grab him. Some people grab them and wait for them to relax and pull. I'd rather not take the risk, I grab them and dig them out slowly.

I think you can use a fork but a shovel is illegal, but hands is the most successful way

Nothing catch's more fish than local bait. Whiting love them and bream smash them

That's my bit of advice. It's a bit hard to explain with out showing you first hand.

However I have found a great video on youtube :)

[video]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHuIhlfw7M

Archived