JP fingerlings released into south QLD creeks

tiotony

From what and where I've seen JPs, they require crystal clear freshwater that flows uninterrupted to the sea. These sort of systems need to be either spring fed, or have consistent rain year round. Most freshwater streams in the south-east are a collection of muddy, stony pools during winter, followed by a raging current of brown water in summer. Not ideal for JPs. Eli creek on Fraser has hundreds of them year round. There easy to find, painfully difficult to catch. It's nice to see some people trying to fix the mistakes of the past.

From what and where I've seen JPs, they require crystal clear freshwater that flows uninterrupted to the sea. These sort of systems need to be either spring fed, or have consistent rain year round. Most freshwater streams in the south-east are a collection of muddy, stony pools during winter, followed by a raging current of brown water in summer. Not ideal for JPs. Eli creek on Fraser has hundreds of them year round. There easy to find, painfully difficult to catch. It's nice to see some people trying to fix the mistakes of the past.

If you're unaware you're not allowed to fish for JP's on Fraser Island, or (fish for anything) in any of the freshwater creeks or lakes.

Sorry, guess I should've paragraphed that next sentence. I've never fished Eli Creek, and have only been there once since the 1990s. The 200 odd people floating down it always put me off.

I wasn't aware of this though, thanks for letting me know. The only time I've tried to catch JPs has been in behind Tully, and as I said, saw pools full them, failed to catch one.

All good man. I guess it's good to put out there occasionally. I spotted about 10 last time I was there, and was just from the little platform at the end of the swimming area.

I'm yet to chase them, every time I'm up North I just never get around to it.

Good to see them back down here, I hope they're able to make a comeback.

If you're unaware you're not allowed to fish for JP's on Fraser Island, or (fish for anything) in any of the freshwater creeks or lakes.

I guess it's good to put out there occasionally

Definitely. I'm guessing the kids with shrimp nets trying to catch the freshwater prawns is a no no too?

JPs up north share the same water with Sooty's, which of the time I went, were a lot easier and worthwhile to catch. I suppose that's why I've never caught a JP, you'll see them follow, dart around it, become interested, then a sooty will just come out of nowhere and smash your lure. It's hardly frustrating given the bycatch, but I'd hate to have to specifically target JPs up north. Something I guess anglers down here won't have to fear.

Archived