New boat advise

Myway 61

Hi Guys.
I am looking for some advise regarding buying an aluminium boat size  around 4 metres due to my side yard access  of 2.080 metres.

I have looked at new a Stacer 399, Quintrex explorers trophy 400 and 420. and 400 hornet trophy.

All price up at $15000 + which is just a bit to much.

The reason for looking at this type of boat is i will be lure and plastic fishing mostly and like the large flat floor with the stability that this type of boat offers.

My Questions are:
  1. Stacer 399 proline angler does any body own one with a 30 four stroke fitted? if so can you turn to port as the one at (Nicko’s) Northside Marine where the seat position is you can only turn the tiller about 15 degrees before it hits the seat. (very strange) the sales chap said he will send photo’s to Telwater?? and ask what is the go.
  2. Is there another boat that may fit the bill that i have not mentioned  keeping in mind maximum of 2080m/m trailer guard to guard.
  3. What do you think a good second hand boat should cost me?
  4. How often do good boats come up for sale.
  5. lastly please provide any information that you think may help me doge fate mistakes that a newbe may make.because i’m sure to find them i.e. fitting up stuff that should only be fitted by a trade or not fitting stuff that most normal people can do to reduce cost.
Thanks Guys in anticipation.

Mike

What are you fishing for and where do you expect to go with this boat, bay,est or freshwater.

I have just purchased a 3.9m quintrex explorer for fresh and est work it cost $3600, fitted out $4500 and this is without motor which is $4000 for a yamaha 4stroke with elec start tiller steer.

Dino

Hi Dino.

Thanks for your response and question see below for my answers. That size motor is the yamaha and is that a new motor price?

The fish i will be fishing for are Whiting Bream Flathead Jew Mangrove Jack Snapper and mac. Bass Barra and other fresh water species.

I will mainly be fishing Redcliffe for Snapper, Bribie passage and the run of creeks to the Passage for Whiting Bream Flathead Jew Mangrove Jack Mud island only on a good day snapper and Mac. Brisbane river for snapper. The southern Bay Island for Snapper The Pin to Broadwater for Flathead, Jack and Jew. Sunshine coast rivers for Jack, Trevally. Jew etc.

Fresh water I hope to one day fish some of the empowerment's for Barra and bass and other fresh water fish.

I also may venture our into the bay or out of Mooloolaba only on those rare days for some close offshore action.

If i was to weigh a % to where and how i think i would be likely to fish it would be:

1) Local fishing - Bribe, Donnybrook, Brisbane river and the  Pine river 50 %.                                                                                                            

2) North coast, Caloundra, Mooloolaba Noosa river systems 20%

3) The Pin and Broadwater 20%

4) Out in the bay 5%

5% local empowerment's

Most of my fishing will be using Lures Plastics as this is how i fish. (Search Find Catch and Release) my fun is in the fishing side..

My wife and grand children would use bait as their fun is in catching fish.

As for how many people would likely be fishing per trip, I think 30% of the time I would be one up. 40% my wife and I. 20 % my wife, 1 Grandson and I. 10% 4 people but probably not all fishing or just site seeing.

Used to go out in the bay in my old 4m custom which wasn't very wide and would fit in your space. It had a 15hp and I did quite a few bay trips close to land and in good conditions and I'm somehow still alive :ninja:. Obviously it was fine for estuary fishing too but definitely not ideal for bay use.

I now have a $20k+ quintrex renegade 420 with 50hp 4st yammy and its pretty heavy duty for its size, so is quite a good little bay boat and obviously still a perfect size for estuary/dam fishing as well. I think you can get them brand new with a 30hp 2stroke for about 11k but would struggle to get up onto the plane being a heavy hull for its size. Add a decent sounder and electric motor and you're looking at about 15k for a ready-to-fish tidy little rig. Keep an eye out for second hand though with a 40hp cos I reckon you could get a pretty nice ready to fish boat for that price.

I'm a big believer of you get what you pay for, so don't feel like you're wasting your money if you decide to increase that budget:whistle:. I'm so glad I didn't spend any less....

Sorry if that didn't help much.

Here's one in yor price range and close to home. Has a bit of age, but looks like it has been looked after. http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/dealer/used/OAG-AD-3893914/2002-QUINTREX-435-HORNET-TROPHY?cr=0&psq=%28%28%28Make%3DQUINTREX%26Model%3D%5B435%20HORNET%20TROPHY%5D%29%26%28%28%28SiloType%3DDealer%20used%20boats%7CSiloType%3DDealer%20new%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DPrivate%20used%20boats%29%7CSiloType%3DDemo%20and%20near%20new%20boats%29%29%26Service%3DBoatsales%29&pso=0&pss=Premium

i have a sea jay 4.35 tiller steer with a 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke. It has deeper sides than the hornet but I don't think it is as dry as the hornet - they have a well regarded hull. Most boats of this size are safe enough in the bay if they are handled correctly. It just depends on how confident you are, how wet you want to get and how much jarring your spine can take as to what weather you are prepared to go out in.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to the site.  Cheers, Steve.

I'd go with that boat Steve found. Quintrex are as good an ally hull as you'd find, and the setup is perfect for the style of fishing you'll do. Yamaha two strokes are bullet proof, even if they are a bit loud and heavier on the fuel then their four stroke counterparts. Add a bow mount electric and that boat will be everything you need for a very long time.

Just check the seams on all the welds and the chines underneath. Ally over time can split and crack, although it can be welded back up, it'll always be a soft spot. Common occurrence on SEQ boats due to the fact that you'll head across the bay in the morning with perfect weather, then have to slog through 2 foot of chop being whipped up by 20t SEly two hours later. Over time this bashing home can cause splits. Other then that check the trailer, a good example of the person who owned the boat before you is how well they've maintained the trailer. It's usually a fairly good indicator of the maintenance on the boat too.

Good luck!

First up purchase I would be looking for an ethical established dealer unless you know the person I woulod steer clear of kmost private sales.

For the northside of Brisbane I would recommend Northside Marine at Deagon..

Southside

John Crawfords are very honest and their boats are thoroughly checked. They even service the wheelbearings on the trailer before you take delivery and match the trailer plug to your car.

Wynnum Marine

Coorparoo Marine.

The above are dealers that I have known personally for around 45 years and I fully trust their honesty and integrity

You will of course pay more through a dealer but you do get peace of mind with a warranty and proof of title.

There are a lot more out there some I do not know and a couple that I would not give my grandson.a tray bit to buy an icecream from.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks Ray, Tybo, Steve, Sam and Sino for your responses.

Love the Quintrex renegade 420 Sam just a bit to wide to fit down the side.

Steve i will go check out the Sea Jay's soon. Is there a boat yard that has them that you  would recommend?

Ray i totally agree with you and i can attest to the quality of the dealership at Northside Marine I have know Keith and Greg for 45 years. Sailing sabot against Greg as Kids at Sandgate Yacht Club. I did have the pleasure to meet both Mick from Coorparoo Marine, Geoff and at John Crawford Marine today

Mick showed me a great boat an Stessco Catcher SFX430 Side Console this boat had it all except a elec. bow mount plate. unfortunately it was 2080m/m wide. the exact width of my house to fence. Mick is seeing if they will build this exact boat on the next size down.

Geoff also showed me a great boat that fitted my needs  and fitted down the side of the house another Stessco with all the bells and whistles. one problem Just sold $11250 four stroke 40 on the back.

Geoff said i would have to wait a few weeks but he said there will be another one along just keep looking. He satisfied  my concerns and after todays visit i will look at some second hand boats from dealers.

All being well I heading up to Caloundra to check out a 2010 Stacer 409 Bass Elite,  2012 mercury 2 stroke engine.

Thanks Guys again for you input I will continue to keep information flowing here.

Any thoughts good bad about the boats i have nominated today?

Hi Mick. I am not familiar with the stessco or the stacers. I bought my Sea Jay new from Stones Corner Marine at the end of 2006 and have been happy with the boat and the service since then. There is bound to be a dealer on the north side as well. It is a big decision so you are doing the right thing by checking other opinions before you commit to a purchase. Good luck.

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Hi Mick. I am not familiar with the stessco or the stacers. I bought my Sea Jay new from Stones Corner Marine at the end of 2006 and have been happy with the boat and the service since then. There is bound to be a dealer on the north side as well. It is a big decision so you are doing the right thing by checking other opinions before you commit to a purchase. Good luck.

Yes it is.

I want to get it right for both myself and my wife needs. As this will be the last boat i intend to buy I have to be sure. I may have to go over my self imposed $ limit, if i go new.

Just weighing up options the boat i went and looked at today is great Stacer's answer to The Quintrex Hornet Trophy a Stacer 409 Bass Elite . Every thing i wanted but motor is a 30 2 stroke mercury. Where i really wanted a four stroke or at least a 3 star rating 2 stroke so i can get on the dams.

Asked what it would cost to swap out the mercury for a Evenrude Etec. price of the boat would be $15000. For a second hand boat. Go figure.

Anyway I will keep looking my priority is GET THE RIGHT BOAT not GET A BOAT. 

Regards

Mick

Archived